1/10th 3 SBS 'Fanning Head' Falkland islands, circa 1982

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For father’s day, I had this from the teenagers, Mookie Miniatures SBS bust. Comes in a substantial cardboard box, with the completed bust painted on the front cover by Peter Day . Parts are very well packed in shredded paper. Torso, Bergan, Arms and head in one bag, hands and bits and bobs in another, the rile is packed with a cardboard back, to protect the weapon. All looks very sharp, and not a lot to clean up. Looking forward to getting started on him soon, having just finished my Kamikaze Bust probably have a break for a few days;

IMG_2278.JPGIMG_2280.JPGIMG_2282.JPG

Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Look nice Steve, I thought the SBS used the L1A1 in the Falklands, didn't realise they had M16's.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice to see our SBS bust being put to good use.Will watch with interest Steve.
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Look nice Steve, I thought the SBS used the L1A1 in the Falklands, didn't realise they had M16's.
Think U.K special.forces prefered the M16a1.Wouldnt imagine the SLR would suit their firepower needs in a firefight.
Richard

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sounds about right, a lot of current SF prefer the Diemaco C8 which is a AR-15 variant.

Although in terms of firepower the L1A1 was a 7.62mm, so far more range & stopping power than the M16's 5.62mm. :thinking:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Having seen Peter paint this it will be really interesting to see the same bust tackled by another figure painter.
Jim

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As it was quite nice last night, decided to clean up all the parts of the bust in the best room in the house for cuting, sawing, sanding resin - the garden room :smiling:. I have a spare pair of sprue cutters, which i now use to remove the main parts of the resin plugs, then a couple of 'chisel blades' to remove the rest - they are very sharp as two of my finger tips can confirm :face-with-head-bandage:. Next up will be pinning to some cork holders and a spray tan of grey primer.

Bluetack attached main pieces;

IMG_2325.JPGIMG_2326.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good progress Steve.Keep it up.
Richard

Its a seriously gorgeous chunk of resin. Details are very sharp and well defined, only thing i may change is the moulded on cords round the collar and replace with some scale cord, only because i may have knocked off part of it on his left side .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
A beautiful bust indeed. What primer do you use for your figures and is there any reason you chose grey?
Jim

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve
A beautiful bust indeed. What primer do you use for your figures and is there any reason you chose grey?
Jim

To answer both questions in one go - Tamiya Fine grey primer- Comes in a rattle can, so a quick and easy way to get a layer of paint onto the bust and the only colour they stock at my local hobbycraft, save me having to get the airbrush out. Mind saying that, I will base coat all the different elements later on with the airbrush.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Found this excellent photo of 3 SBS on the Falklands;

SBS falklands war.jpg

Interesting variations in the colours in not just the DPM but also the webbing, and the guy knelling in the centre looks familiar :thinking::smiling2:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst eating tea last night, had some Lamb kebab skewers (Tesco's) and thought these skewers look just about the right size for making handles to hold small parts, so instructing everyone not to throw their skewers away, i washed then all and with a pait of snips, chopped of the tips and attached mini crocodile clips to the ends and crimped with a pair of pliers. 6 skewers has given me 12 handles, waste not want not.

IMG_2339.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Great to see you having a crack at this. I think the photo is interesting, since, as you say, there is quite a lot of variance in the camo and webbing colours. A couple of people criticised my colouring on PF - the brown was too red, the webbing too light etc etc. There will always be critics (especially on PF!), but it got to me at the time.

I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Steve, great mind think alike. We also recently had kebabs (from Sainsburys though) and I also re-purposed the skewers. :smiling3:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve

Great to see you having a crack at this. I think the photo is interesting, since, as you say, there is quite a lot of variance in the camo and webbing colours. A couple of people criticised my colouring on PF - the brown was too red, the webbing too light etc etc. There will always be critics (especially on PF!), but it got to me at the time.

I'm sure you'll do a great job.

I saw those comments on PF, sometimes a bit ,dare i say, elitist with some views. And your right things can and do get to us, we are only human after all. Mind if you think your reds/browns got criticism, just look up a SBS on British DPM from the 80's, boy did that poster come in for some stick from a couple of people.
And anyway, give 10 people the same bust/figure to paint and i guarantee you won’t have 10 identical finishes. Jealousy is a nasty shade of green.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I tend not to post much on Social media and forums.Means every know it all asswipes can have five penny worth.Some derive pleasure from being negative for the sake of it.They are the ones who make very little.My sculpts get some critisisms but i just say well dont buy them them.Its jealousy usually if say Peters painting is much better then a so called experts.Its a hobby after all and im a producer of a few items but i cant retire on my sales so far.I enjoy what i do and proud to have a little company.Ive been told to develop a thick skin but its hurtful sometimes as a lot of work and time.and exspense goes into my.productions.ENJOY your projects Steve etc its fun and most are ok guys just a few who are something that sounds like ANCHORS.
My soapbox time over.
Richard