1/10th 3 SBS 'Fanning Head' Falkland islands, circa 1982

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Totally agree Richard. Companies like yours keep people like me interested in painting Busts, with items some of the "Big boys won't cover for whatever reason.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
liking the look of this one,Steve,should be a nice paint,
also very intresting reading along the way,:smiling:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Arrived just in time. A great bust for you to have a crack at and a wonderful photo for the research too boot. Good luck

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quick update; so got all the bits out together and blue tacked the ammo pouches, side-arm holder, canteen, compass pouch and escape pack to the torso, to get an idea of where things will go;

SBS-prepaint (2 of 5).jpgSBS-prepaint (3 of 5).jpgSBS-prepaint (4 of 5).jpg

Then added the arms and the weapon in place to see how that all sat together - and it all looks good.

SBS-prepaint (1 of 5).jpg

All the pieces were then 'pinned' with cutup paper clips, so that when i put everything together, i should be able to match the pinned items to holes i will drill into the torso. Hopefully this way will also give me a bit of 'playing time' when i add the hands to the arms and fix in the M16. Well thats the theory anyway.

SBS-prepaint (5 of 5).jpg

Everything has now been primed, so onto the face next week. The pouches and backpack, will be sprayed and using methods very similar to painting tanks will follow the black and white method.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Having found the following image, quite a lot of images about the SBS on the Falklands, good for my research. I enquired on a closed Facebook group about the camouflage on the hand grip of the M16, general consensus being that it was coloured tape/ black duct tape, though scrim, bits of cut up sandbags/ old uniforms were also used. The 'pouch' under the rifle been a Field dressing. I will add suitable sized painted tape to my M16, along with the field dressing, and also adding camouflage paint to his face;

95098e05d1546fe7d3ff7ad73dd8feee.jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dont know about anyone else, but found this heat in the uk to hot to paint in. Maybe because when i get home from being in a glass building on the 10th floor facing the sun for 8hrs without any air con i am totally whacked and dozing off by 8pm, plus been continually warm (shorts even in the winter). Anyhow the paints have arrived for the DPM. Hopefully it will snow soon and i can get back to painting.

Camo colours.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
First time for a few weeks where i havent been busy, and it was cool enough sitting outside last night to get cracking on with this bust. So first off, getting the eyes sorted, after about an hour / hour and a half got to this;

IMG_2519.jpg
Looking a bit like Boris Karloff in the 1932 classic 'The Mummy'

But once cut back, looks a little more 'human';

IMG_2524.jpgIMG_2525.jpgIMG_2528.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Steve - The guys have said it all. The eyes are outstanding. Great stuff:thumb2:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
'All fingers and Thumbs'
By the time i had finished painting the gate and fence panel (real world) and had my evening meal it was getting a bit late to start fully fleshing out his face, but not to waste, what i thought would be a few minutes :smiling2:, i started on his fingers - a good hour later we got here;

IMG_2549.jpgIMG_2550.jpgIMG_2553.jpg

Will need to dirty up his nails a bit, to clean at the mo. Left a few black straggles on his fingers on purpose :thinking: to emphasis the nature of the material :tears-of-joy:, which will need a flat black coat adding, then highlights.