1/16 African Gladiator

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Peter,
I always look in to see what your currently tackling, even if I don’t comment or hit the like button....top work on this piece....certainly wouldn’t want to bump into him down a dark alley:surprised:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice work Peter.Love the lower garments colour.He would make a nice Zulu conversion.Smashing painting once again.
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Great work as always. May I ask what golds and brasses you use as they always look very bright mine always seem grainy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No problem Pete - perhaps I should challenge you to make Miniart's 1/16 Samurai figure - I've failed twice!
Peter.
No no you wouldn't inflict that on Peter would you, show some leniency. :smiling2:
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Comment isn't obligatory (but nice when it happens!). Many thanks.

Richard - The head is from Verlinden's Zulu figure. I sacrificed an old version I'd done some time ago for this build.

Scottie - The metallics are just Vallejo Model Colour. They can look grainy in extreme close up, but you can smooth them down with a blunt instrument (!) when they're almost dry, which does seem to even them out. I also use a purer gold artist's acrylic for the highlights.

John - No, I wouldn't really inflict that on anybody - not even my worst enemy.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Fixed up the new shield:

100_3189.JPG

Part of the problem with the first version was that I'd cut it down and hadn't done a great job of sanding down the back - I'd already painted the front when I realised I had a problem. I've left this one full-sized, but instead of using the kit decal, which I've used on an earlier version of the figure, I decided to decorate the front with strengthening strakes (split cocktail stick) and bronze plates (lead foil). The plates will have rivets added at the corners.

D

Deleted member 6559

This one's finished:

100_3192.JPG100_3194.JPG100_3195.JPG100_3196.JPG

Unfortunately the second shield also went pear-shaped, so I dug out the one I'd saved from my defunct Varangian project. I think I prefer it, as I'm sure that the Romans would have tried to give an African gladiator a more tribal (or Barbarian i.e non-Roman) look. I spent some time trying to tidy it up, but it was a pretty rough sculpt in the first place - it will do.

The final job was to add the dropped dagger (Verlinden Assyrian I think) and make a strap for it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie - At least I finished this one!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another super figure, well done,

Is the other gladiator still in your cabinet for a side by side?

What's next?

Have a good weekend

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve and thanks for looking in as always.

I have a kit version in the cabinet:

100_3198.JPG

The other African I did is long gone.

Next, some bust work for Richard at Mookies.

Hope it's dryer where you are.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its not everyone who has a spare shield in their draw! A terrific save and as you say its the best of the lot. A wonderful figure to boot. Looking forward to your next project already:thumb2::cool:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I really like this guy. Maybe the subject or the superbly rendered skin tones but whatever one to be proud of.
Had to smile at Steve's "spare shield in a drawer". Nestling between the socks and Y-fronts, a gladiator's shield!!
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Well I suppose not everyone has a set of spare Tiger tracks in their's! Glad you like him.

Jim - Many thanks. There's more in my drawer than I'd admit to publicly.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Well I'm not going to comment on such things as what's in your drawer !
Beautifully painted, I like the loincloth colour, not seen that before.
John.