1/16 Varangian / Dark Age Warrior

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Having thoroughly enjoyed building ICM's new 1/16 Viking figure, I thought I'd have a go at their other recent release, the Night King:

278632_1.jpg
As I'm not a fan of fantasy subjects, I wanted to see if I could paint the figure up as something else. The outfit reminded me of the lamellar armour worn by the Varngian guard:

c4c552293f9445eda4aac7c35837a6bb.jpgHistory-of-the-Varangian-Guard (1).jpg

These were the bodyguards of the Byzantine emperors often recruited from among Northern European captives. Many of them were Vikings, and it's even thought that some Brits may have numbered amongst them through the years.

II had a rummage in my spares box and dug out some bits and pieces of equipment which I then messed about with to try and get the right look:

100_3112.JPG

The shield is from Verlinden's Eastern European Viking kit and the quiver from their Assyrian archer offering. The sword and dagger are from the Verlinden generic medieval weapons set, with handles and pommels from Roman and Viking kits, and added pieces of metal foil for the lacing. The purse is a converted WW2 Russian ammo pouch. The front of the helmet was the spare from the ICM Viking kit, to which I added a back section made from a fallschirmjager helmet and reinforcing bars made from metal foil. As I'd dug out the quiver I also decided to make a bow,

I then went on to make up the head. I chose a Reedees character head and added hair made from sections of Miniart horse's mane, and painted the beard on with perfect plastic putty. He's bald of course in order for the helmet to fit:

100_3113.JPG

I've no idea if this is going to work out. I haven't as yet received the Night King kit, but it looks that there may be a reasonable chance of doing something vaguely resembling a Varagian, or if not at least some loose idea of a Dark Age warrior.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well I know nothing about this subject Peter, but if that's the start I'm sure it be be suburb.
Seat near kettle please.
John.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

I am sure the kit will be a good basis for your conversion, although I would have loike to see you tackle the blues of the original figure - even though you do not like fantasy, it would be an interesting technical challenge.

I'm sitting next to John following your project.

Peter

Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Excellent building skills and an unusual conversion for this guy. Watching this with interest.

John

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Come on.you lot budge up.Room for lardy me in the masses.Im sure i can bring some cake.Maybe pineapple upside down cake.Watching along with the gang.
Richard

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Painting a whole load of blue would be a challenge too far for me. Just doesn't sound like fun I'm afraid.

John - Welcome along.

Richard - I can just about manage a bit of Milliput and Deluxe putty. I'll leave the sculpting to the experts.

The head:

100_3114.JPG

I'm reasonably happy with the result. The sculpt was a bit lumpy around the eyes, but fortunately the visor covered most of the dodgy parts.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've also painted his gear, apart from the shield:

100_3118.JPG

Hopefully it looks like a matching set.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Sounds as if this is a real Frankenstein figure judging by the number of parts from the spares box. An excellent start. The head looks really nice. Like John I had not heard of these bodyguards.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A fearsome warrior. Nice work on the head. The equipment is very neat indeed

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Well if it doesn't work out as a Varangian, it can always be a generic fantasy warrior. I've been fascinated by all things Byzantine for years, and am particularly intrigued by the Northern European nature of the Varangian Guard. This piece of graffiti, written in Viking runes, can be found on a balcony in Hagia Sophia in Istanbul - it reads something like 'Halvdan was here' and was probably carved by a Varnagian:

viking-grafitti-hagia-sophia-9th-century.jpg

Steve - Hopefully it will all come together. Many thanks.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start and another super head.

The beard looks realistic, nicely sculpted, 1st step in a new direction?
Natural colour palette with the accessories, following on from the super Viking.

Frosty here for the first time this Autumn
Keep the paints nice a warm

Have a good day with the armour

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Very wet and very cold here.

Well, it's all gone pear-shaped!!!!!!!

I didn't like the first head so I spent many hours making up another, only to ruin it when almost finished. I have nothing else I can use at the moment, so I think I'll put this one on the back burner until I find an alternative. The kit still hasn't tuned up yet anyway.

Dammit!!!!

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Well, I've another head to give it one last go:

100_3119.JPG

I've made a Roman/Saxon style helmet up from Miniart parts and scrap plastic, and the head is from a Verlinden cossack figure. Fingers crossed.....

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A real roller coaster of a build

Hopefully a successful day with the new head

Have a good day with the paint.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

And the shield:

100_3130.JPG

That's as much as I can do now without the kit. Chased the supplier and was told it should arrive tomorrow. They were waiting for a delivery apparently, which is a bit annoying as the only reason I ordered from that particular company (no names) in the first place was because the website indicated that it was in stock.