1/24 Airfix FW190 and !/72 Revell f16 Tigermeet

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi gents

just thought I would share with you my last two models. The first is the 1/24 scale Airfix FW190. This was a very difficult build had to make following alterations

Cowling ring extended by 6mm to allow better fit of engine

Rear tail wheel lowered by 5mm so plane would sit properly

wing depth increased at the roots to allow better fit onto fuselage

Flaps scratch built and added

Additional parts added to engine, gun bays and pilot

The second plane is 1/72 scale Revell F16 Tigermeet

.View attachment 41964View attachment 41965View attachment 41966

View attachment 41969View attachment 41970View attachment 41968View attachment 41967

View attachment 45350

View attachment 45351

View attachment 45352

View attachment 45353

View attachment 45354

View attachment 45355

View attachment 45356

004 (2).jpg

004 - Copy (2).jpg

005 - Copy (2).jpg

007 - Copy.jpg

f16 - Copy.jpg

f16 - Copy (2).jpg

f163.jpg

D

dubster72

They are both excellent would it be asking too much for more pictures? Perhaps separate threads?

Cheers

Patrick

M

mobear

fantastic builds,although i do love the FW the most first class

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good. See how I avoid using the phrase - nice pair.........doh.......

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Some great builds there. Well done

Vaughan

B

Bunkerbarge

Brilliant models, I particularly like the 190 which I think lost it's looks in the later versions with the long nose. The early ones looked really agressive and purposeful.

Yours is a superb example and a lovely model. Great work on the engine.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks everyone for your generous comments. Putting a picture of a model up on the forum and getting such good feedback is like putting a painting up in the Louvre and Leonardo De Vinci walking in and saying "I like that". OK. I exagerate somewhat but your comments are very much apperciated. In responce to your request Patrick I will endeavour to get some photos in natural light rather than under a flash which I find plays havoc with the gloss finished F16. But I will repost in due course. Thanks again all.

C

CDW

Two very nice models there, look forward to seeing some more photos, natural light sounds the better option for the glossier surface i agree.

\ said:
Putting a picture of a model up on the forum and getting such good feedback is like putting a painting up in the Louvre and Leonardo De Vinci walking in and saying "I like that".
I'm of the same opinion, when you get positive comments from the people on here that produce such accurate and realistic models, it gives you a little lift in confidence, which in my case helps in the next model i build. Any critisism always comes across as constructive ... which is how it should be.

M

mobear

you know i`m a fool,i wrote about the FW being nice,then i just looked again its a 1/24,so i`m kicking myself,i turned down this plane for the BF109E in the same size,me is sobbing and the detail is great

mobear

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If the box is anything to go by then this FW 190 kit was made in 1980 so its been sat around for 31 years. One of the biggest things I noticed was that the decals have come along way in 30 years. These things went on like beer mats compared to the more recent decals that I have been using. I also had to source the swastika from somewhere else as Airfix did not include it in the decal sheet. I have been told that it may have been because the swastika is still a banned symbol in many countries and in 1980 may have affected distribution of the kit. I based this kit on yellow 2 flown by Josep "Sepp" Wurmheller and it clearly had one on the tail so I had to add it to complete the build.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff,I like to see that old Fw190 kit made into an attractive model. Far too many languish in stashes,unbuilt.

I notice that you overcame the engine fit problem by extending the cowling ring. When I built one of these I sanded down the mating surfaces of the various parts of the engine (like the halves of the cylinder banks) to achieve the same result and get the cooling fan to sit in the correct place. It took ages and looking at your solution it might be simpler :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
At the time steve I didnt consider your solution. I had thought about leaving part 36, the usual prefered method, out of the engine build but thought that if the engine length was reduced it may affect where the exhausts emerge through the fuselage sides. The extended cowling ring came out OK but it was a real pain to build. Heres a couple of the nose end before it was painted.

View attachment 42021View attachment 42022

View attachment 45403

View attachment 45404

cowling1.jpg

262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: