1:24 Airfix ME109

A

aikmanmosquito

Are there any upgrade parts available for the Airfix 1:24 ME109?I've managed to buy an upgraded instrument panel and wing machine guns, but would like to add better cockpit detail, also if it's available wheel bay details.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I believe scratch building is the order-of-the-day from here!
Decent reference (there's simply masses out there) and a bit of plastic strip and you'll be sorted.
It will also prove to be a more satisfying build.
Paul

59Cooper

Are there any upgrade parts available for the Airfix 1:24 ME109?I've managed to buy an upgraded instrument panel and wing machine guns, but would like to add better cockpit detail, also if it's available wheel bay details.
I believe scratch building is the order-of-the-day from here!
Decent reference (there's simply masses out there) and a bit of plastic strip and you'll be sorted.
It will also prove to be a more satisfying build.
Paul Paul, I have an Airfix 1/24 scale Me/Bf 109 kit but I don't have the plans. Is there any way that you could scan the plans for me? I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for your trouble. Thanks a lot for your response. Bill Lightfoot. w.lightfoot@cox.net I'm in Virginia, USA.

59Cooper

Paul, I have an Airfix 1/24 scale Me/Bf 109 kit but I don't have the plans. Is there any way that you could scan the plans for me? I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for your trouble. Thanks a lot for your response. Bill Lightfoot. w.lightfoot@cox.net I'm in Virginia, USA.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I built one of these in 2017 and there isn't too much in the way of aftermarket stuff:
BF_109_E_24_103.jpg

National markings, swastika, fuselage markings and "Ace of Spades" were painted using Montex Super Mask Airfix Bf 109 E-3(K2403). Aftermarket items used were Airscale 1/24 Messerschmitt Bf109E Instrument Panel (AS24 MEA), Eduard 1/24 WWII Luftwaffe Seatbelts (23003), Master 1/24 German 7.92mm MG 17 Barrels x 2 (AM-24-002), Aber 1/24 German 20mm Oerlikon MG FF Barrels x 2 (A24 004). I also bought a Squadron 1/24 Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 Canopy (9803) but didn't use it.

I did use a fair bit of plastic card in the wheel wells though. I also added strips of plastic card on the bottom edge of the engine and fuselage gun cowlings which meant there were no unsightly gaps.

A good reference book is the Squadron/Signal publication 5534 "Walk Around Number 34 Messerschmitt Bf 109E" (ISBN 0 89747 474 0):
Bf_109_e_24_022.jpg

I also used an oldie - "Bf 109 Versons B-E Classic Aircraft No.2 Their history and how to model them" by Roy Cross and Gerald Scarborough (ISBN 0 85059 106 6), more out of nostalgia than anything else:
Bf_109_e_24_021.jpg

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Paul, I have an Airfix 1/24 scale Me/Bf 109 kit but I don't have the plans. Is there any way that you could scan the plans for me? I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for your trouble. Thanks a lot for your response. Bill Lightfoot. w.lightfoot@cox.net I'm in Virginia, USA.
Bill, you can download a set of instructions here.

Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I built one of these as well back in 2007 I think. Used whatever I could from the kit and scratched the rest including the Revi gunsight. Made my own seat cushion and seat belts. The decals were worn out so it was a bit of building jigsaw puzzle to piece them together. Did the same as Dave with the wheel wells. Re-shaped the propeller blades and references were Squadron Signal and whatever I could get my hands on the net.

bf60.jpg
bf62.jpg bf63.jpg bf66.jpg

Seriously there aren't many aftermarket detail sets for the 1/24 scale kit. Perhaps maybe now since Trumpeter came out with some Me's in this scale.

Cheers,
Richard