1/24 Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb

First Name
Jason
Having caught that Big Bird Flu that seems to be going around I decided that this had to be started today.

View attachment 87119

As per the destructions I've started with the engine. In my haste to get going I never took any pics of it fresh off the sprue but its pretty basic stuff so after studying lots of on-line images and then acknowledging I didn't have a clue what I was looking at I have decided to go about my best artistic representation of a Merlin engine.

First move was to shave of some of the clumsier looking moulded details and fill them over before replacing them with some parts from the spares box some sheet brass, wire and styrene. Still got plenty more to add but after drilling 70+ holes, enough was enough for today!

Here's a few pics of my progress so far.

View attachment 87120

View attachment 87121

View attachment 87122

View attachment 87123

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0514.JPG

CSC_0519.JPG

CSC_0520.JPG

CSC_0521.JPG

CSC_0522.JPG

P

Polux

I'm glad to see another 1/24 Spit thread :smiling3:

Mmm....I can feel :D you are looking for a masterpiece!!!

Nice engine so far Jason!!

Cheers Polux

Z

Ziper_it

Good work til now.

I have this kit in my stash and will follow with interest.

Francesco

D

daveb257

This looks great, I bought two of these last year and I'm terrified of starting them !

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good start and like the added detail,:rolleyes:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice one Jason, look forward to seeing this one develop

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice start , it's strange to see that the engine for the spit is not as good a quilts as the one for the hurricane , you'd think that seeing it's basically the same engine they would of it look the same still your doing a great so far so it will be interesting to see how you go

I'm not a spitfire fan but I will get this kit so it will be a good thing to see how this kit is :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Nice start , it's strange to see that the engine for the spit is not as good a quilts as the one for the hurricane , you'd think that seeing it's basically the same engine they would of it look the same still your doing a great so far so it will be interesting to see how you goI'm not a spitfire fan but I will get this kit so it will be a good thing to see how this kit is :smiling3:
The Spitfire model is quite a bit older than the Hurricane one. Both have been updated with additional colour schemes and additional spruces over the years but the basic kit moulding remains the same so the Spit engine still looks that bit more dated.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
The Spitfire model is quite a bit older than the Hurricane one. Both have been updated with additional colour schemes and additional spruces over the years but the basic kit moulding remains the same so the Spit engine still looks that bit more dated.
Oh I see , I thought they would have been released at roughly the same time , you would think they would of swapped the plates out to give the engine a more realistic look by now :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

So many 1/24 builds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work by the way Jason

John