1/24 ItaleriTimber Trailer

S

Stevekir

Timber Trailer, second try-1-2.jpg

NOTE: To see images full size on this forum, drag the right side of the window to the right until the images stop increasing in size. Big is better!

This has been a joy to make. It is 20 “ long (50 cm.) All parts were accurate and fitted perfectly, some actually snapping in. There was a single minute piece of flash about 2mm square but there were several ejection pin marks which needed sanding out where exposed. There was the odd mistake in the manual but no problem.

I have added some weathering but not a lot. The tyres needed some thought. At first I overdid them with lots of mud but it looked wrong. In any case, trailers don’t often go off-road so (from my observation) have mainly dusty sidewalls. I did these by rubbing on (with my thumb) some dry medium brown weathering powder and then some further rubbing with a clean finger to remove a little here and there to give variation. I am not sure I have got it right. What do you think?

The timber is real – cuttings from a hazel bush in the garden.

Timber Trailer, second try-2.jpg

Timber Trailer, second try-3.jpg

View attachment 254890

Timber Trailer, second try-5-3.jpg

Gsodam is the Austrian agent for Knappen trailers, manufactured in Germany. The rusty scratch-built box at the forward end is the one I posted about six weeks ago. I imagine it containing some tools and bits and bobs and has been used before on a previous trailer. It is held down by rope, and ring bolts. (You can just see a ring bolt, made from copper wire.)

This is the forward end looking to the rear. The chain is from ebay:

View attachment 254892

Waiting is an Italeri Road Tractor to pull it around.

8 Trailer Front .jpg
9 Trailer Rear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
very nice

are you going to do a rig to pull it?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice job on this Steve,looks great,and do like your use of tree,

very suitable weathering as well,and as I do use my finger to rub in power as well,

a very useful ,little trick,very well done, :smiling3: ,

as Paul ask you adding a rig,?

D

dubster72

That looks very nice Steve, the real 'logs' are rather clever.

Personally, I'd expect a trailer like this to be much dirtier & worn though - forests aren't the cleanest of places! ;)

S

Stevekir

real nice job on this Steve,looks great,and do like your use of tree,

very suitable weathering as well,and as I do use my finger to rub in power as well,

a very useful ,little trick,very well done, :smiling3: ,

as Paul ask you adding a rig,?

Yes. As my present thinking goes, it will have an unusual and striking livery. But I am a slow worker.

S

Stevekir

That looks very nice Steve, the real 'logs' are rather clever.

Personally, I'd expect a trailer like this to be much dirtier & worn though - forests aren't the cleanest of places! ;)

I am in two minds about the degree of weathering. I find a straight-from-the-paint-shop model attractive, all shiny and colourful. On the other hand, all of the models we come across get messy and realism is important. In some cases heavy weathering is essential, as in tanks. A pristine tank in a dio seems absurd, and no tank lasted in battle more than a day all shiny and clean. Rust is different. It gives a model character, and is difficult to get right.

First Name
Gwyn
Very nice trailer and I think the weathering is about right, I would imagine the trees loaded in a yard before the trailer embarked onto the open road.

Gwyn

A

Ace

Very  nicely done with the logs etc. I see a lot of redwood logging trucks and the wear and tear varies a lot!