1/24 spitfire MK1A

C

Caledonia

\ said:
forgot to say when posted the pics up,the door was nearly working i just didnt have a small enough drill to make a hole in the door rods to make a moveable hinge on them lolmobear
Fabulous work Ole. When I was building my Cutty Sark I had a similar drilling problem through very thin, very narrow wood in the rigging, kept splitting the wood, and I ended up heating a fine wire and burning through - might be worth trying a test. Derek

C

CDW

I agree with Ian ... don't rush it and do a half hearted job .... stay methodical ..... its working :smiling3:

M

mobear

thnx guys and i dont seem to be losing my why with this it really is fun to do lol

mobear

M

mobear

small update as i have been working on the canopy,trying to make it look like its armoured glass and adding bits on the front part,but i have reattached the prop cut the cone to see in to the gubbins.so here are some pics View attachment 58701View attachment 58702View attachment 58703.heres another quandary do i paint in RAF colours for BoB,or shall i leave it silver and tidy it all up,(i have it on good authority that i should be getting a gravity feed airbrush for my Bday)any suggestions wlcm lol

mobear

View attachment 60560

View attachment 60561

View attachment 60562

built mk1 (2).jpg

built mk1 (4).jpg

built mk1 (5).jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm really enjoying this one and living through it with you! If I was to pick one model from history that has meant more to me than any other it would probably be this one. At the time it came out it redefined modelling as regards the impact, the overall sheer presence and the level of detail compared with what was around at the time. It even had an engine in loads of pieces that you could paint up and guns in proper gun bays! When it first came out I was working in a model shop and I couldn't get my hands on one quick enough, I loved it and soon added the 109 to it to make a stunning pair of models. Compared to modern offerrings it now looks pretty weak but it still holds a place in my heart.

Just a quick point regarding drilling small holes. I would highly recommend that you get your hands on a set of micro drills, easily obtainable on eBay and I'm sure John could stock them if you asked him nicely. A set of these with a pin vice will quickly become invaluable and you will wonder how you managed without them. I use them very regularly in ship building and am always doing a quick size check with my digital calipers then reaching for the appropriate drill and the pin vice. Always being able to have just the correct size hole that isn't too sloppy and the part doesn't set vertically or too tight and you have to mess around with a round file (which always gives you a tapered hole anyway!) is absolutely invaluable.

I'm sure John could look into stocking pin vices and sets of micro drills.

M

mobear

i now have a set of micro drills,and you are right they are great(big shout out to wifey for getting me them)lol,and thnx anyway for write up glad you`re enjoying it

mobear

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
absolutely fabulous, Ole, how have I missed this one, great build and detail, amazing :D

D

dubster72

I've just gone through this thread from beginning to end & can say only one thing : amazing!

What a fine build, the details are stunning! I can't wait to see more Ole.

When I think back to your 1st Lancaster ... what progress in your skills!

And personally, I'd leave it as bare metal.

Cheers & deep respect

Patrick

S

Stevekir

Just discovered this! Lots of detail, and invites the viewer to look it all over. The model could be used to train armourers, mechanics etc. and even pilots

M

mobear

thnx fellow modellers,this is a labour of love,i will take more close up photos for people to get a good at when the light is right

mobear

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
This is truly fantastic work! Well done

Lee :smiling3: