tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Reviews

First of all a list of the parts used:

Kit: Trumpeter Ju87 b-2 (TRU03214)

Correction Kit: 1/32 Ju87 B-2 Correction Set from Fawcett Models

Propeller: Ju87 B-2 VS 5 Propeller (Look for seller ID mk2341 on Ebay).

Photo etch: Eduard 1/32 Ju87b-2 Interior (EDP32751), Eduard 1/32 Ju87b-2 Exterior (EDP32335)

Seat belts: HGW Junkers Ju87 Stuka 1/32 (132042)

Canopy Paint Masks: Eduard 1/32 Ju 87B-2 (JX144)

Mg Barrels: Master models MG 15 barrels 1/32 (AM-32013), RB Model 7.92mm MG 17 tips 1/32 (32AB06)

Aerial Wire: EZ Line

Sundries: Various wire, plastic card

The Trumpeter kit is a very enjoyable kit to put together. The fit of the parts is fantastic, build sequence logical and everything is flash free. I don't recall any prominent ejector pins marks in the build of this kit either. What does let this kit down is the well publicised inaccuracies. If you are prepared to overlook these errors then the kit should prove a straight forward kit to build. The kit also includes a detailed engine should you wish to model the cowlings off. If however you're like me and would like a more accurate outline then you will need to do a little more work. This is the annoying thing about this kit. It costs £50! For that you do get well engineered parts and a fair amount of great detail, it's just such a shame that the outline is wrong. I would also bin the decals they are frankly wrong. The under wing crosses are undersized and the upper wing crosses are the wrong type. This isn't so much of an issue with me as I often replace decals but it's yet another example of poor research. You do get rubber tyres with the kit (which doesn't bother me as much as it does some modellers) and a small fret of photo etch.

My verdict on the kit: 6/10

Most good stockists and Ebay etc

The Brian Fawcett Ju87 Correction set is well cast, fits superbly (as resin correction sets go) and includes everything you need to replace the nose, propeller, spats and wheels. In my opinion the propeller spinner is wrong in profile and isn't pointy enough. The set costs £38.50 which I think is a tad expensive considering I didn't use the propeller but without some considerable scratch building it's the only way you're going to correct that Trumpeter nose section. A suggestion to Brian (if he's reading) is to perhaps split the set - wheels and spats in one, nose correction in another. In this way it may be possible to perhaps master a B1 version? I know I'm interested now in building a B1!!!! I'd also look to remastering the spinner.

My verdict on the correction kit: 7/10

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/

The Henri Dahne Propeller set. One word - Awesome! At £13 I think this upgrade is worth every penny. Great detail, the fit is the very definition of precision and great instuctions.

My verdict on the propeller set: 9.5/10

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mkf2341

The Eduard Photo Etch sets. What you'd expect from Eduard - Interior Set has great self-adhesive, colour instrument panels and loads of small knobs and dials to get you groping round the carpet! When finished it does give the office a pleasing busy look. Disappointed that no pilot's footrests were included. The External Set gives you the radiator louvres as well as the Gun bay panels and other small details.

My verdict on the PE: 7.5/10

HGW Seat Belts: Great set that really is the last word in model aircraft harness detail. Printed micro fibre harnesses with photo etch buckles that look terrific when complete. They took a while to put together but they are worth the effort. I found white glue (I used canopy glue) to be the best for sticking the straps together. At around £7 I think these are well worth it.

My verdict on the seat belts: 8/10

Master Models MG15 Barrel: Around £9 for 2. This adds a lot of detail to a very prominent part of the finished model. Sights are a little fiddly but if you're used to etch shouldn't prove a problem.

My verdict on the MG15 barrel: 8/10

RB Models MG17 tips: Around £2 for the 2 tips required. Not strictly needed but are just that bit crisper than the plastic parts!

My verdict on the MG17 tips: 8/10

...and that's it! I hope this proves useful to anyone reading and I hope you enjoyed the build.

Bye for now

Paul :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very informative and helpful.

nice one Paul-

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the info Paul that lot certainly went along way to producing a fantastic build.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the info Paul that lot certainly went along way to producing a fantastic build.
Cheers Vaughan. I forgot to mention the bomb sets and the decals. I'll add those this weekend to the review and then that really is it!