1/32 Battle of Britain build part 2- Stuka! Trumpeter's Ju 87 b-2

D

dubster72

I like the use of different shades Paul, especially on upper surfaces that would normally bear the brunt of weather effects. It gives the stuka a much more natural feel.

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Paul I think you made the right call with the lifecolor I don't think mines turned out so well with the vallejo paints. As you say next is the decals that will really bring her to life.
Hi Vaughan

I'm sorry to hear that your splinter pattern has not come out as you'd hoped. I do think Vallejo's RLM 71 is off, Lifecolor may also be wrong but at least it's green. As I've said in the thread I may revisit the RLM 71 with filters to darken it a touch (this is made possible because I ensured the shade was light - you can't make a dark shade lighter!).

Is the colour the problem? You seemed to be steaming along quite well, and (because it's you) I can't believe that it's a technique problem. I want to say now Vaughan that your builds are always excellent (for instance your truly brilliant He162) and I view you as a very accomplished modeller.

Please post when your ready it will be interesting to see the colour difference. If it's just the colour then it's no big deal.

Cheers

paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think on a model it is a matter of artistic interpretation. To my eye that splinter scheme looks good.

The two colours (70 and 71) actually had a very low contrast between them, but that doesn't make for an interesting model. These are taken from an extremely rare and early colour film. I can't remember if I took them myself or from Falkeeins Luftwaffe blog, so credit where it is due.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think on a model it is a matter of artistic interpretation
I think so too Steve, that's why I went for a higher contrast. I knew the difference between the 2 colours was minimal and I may tone down the RLM 71 yet with a filter. I reckon a blueish green filter over the green surfaces will give the result (more-or-less) seen in your excellent reference pics (thanks again).

BTW I ordered the 'Dive Bomber to Tank Buster' book and it arrived today. It is very good.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think you have done a great job on the paint Paul.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I think so too Steve, that's why I went for a higher contrast. I knew the difference between the 2 colours was minimal and I may tone down the RLM 71 yet with a filter. I reckon a blueish green filter over the green surfaces will give the result (more-or-less) seen in your excellent reference pics (thanks again).BTW I ordered the 'Dive Bomber to Tank Buster' book and it arrived today. It is very good.

Cheers

Paul
Yes a filter will also 'blend' the colours a bit. Like you I always increase the contrast for a better effect, otherwise on a model it can almost appear monotone.

It is a good book, about as good as it gets in one volume, I certainly keep my copy well thumbed :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Decals

The Trumpeter decals are not accurate. The crosses on the underside of the wing are undersized and the upper wing crosses are the wrong type (the ones supplied are late war white outline crosses). In an effort to rectify these inaccuracies, and after doing a fair amount of research to find a suitable machine to depict, I elected to go for Eagle Cals #144.

I have to admit that finding suitable decals in 1/32 for the BoB was quite difficult (which I found surprising).The particular aircraft I am depicting is in fact an aircraft used in the Balkans campaign.

I do know that St.G 2 also saw action during the BoB. I therefore applied a bit of artistic licence, removed the yellow Balkans campaign paintwork (nose and rudder), and hey presto a BoB Stuka!

Just to show you how far I went, I also purchased 2 sets of Montex masks but opted for this scheme because I felt it was more attractive.

Anyway, the EagleCals decals are excellent - perfectly in register, nice and opaque and nestled onto the gloss surface perfectly. The only criticism of the EagleCals set I do have is the stencil placement diagram, which is confusing and frankly wrong in places. The diagram only shows the port side of the aircraft and It explains that some stencil info is 'right side only' ????? and I took this to mean starboard side. However the first aid cross is depicted as 'right side only' when I know for a fact that this is on the port side of the aircraft.

I cross referenced a few sources and eventually decided on the decals below.

For the first time we can really see what this Stuka will look like

I've got a fair bit more to do before finishing: weathering, adding small details, removing the canopy mask (that awful 'has the paint crept under the mask moment!) etc. etc. but Ido think I'm on the home stretch now...

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
Hi VaughanI'm sorry to hear that your splinter pattern has not come out as you'd hoped. I do think Vallejo's RLM 71 is off, Lifecolor may also be wrong but at least it's green. As I've said in the thread I may revisit the RLM 71 with filters to darken it a touch (this is made possible because I ensured the shade was light - you can't make a dark shade lighter!).

Is the colour the problem? You seemed to be steaming along quite well, and (because it's you) I can't believe that it's a technique problem. I want to say now Vaughan that your builds are always excellent (for instance your truly brilliant He162) and I view you as a very accomplished modeller.

Please post when your ready it will be interesting to see the colour difference. If it's just the colour then it's no big deal.

Cheers

paul
Hi Paul

thanks for the kind words and compliments regarding He162, the splinter pattern went down ok on the Storch it was more the colour of the RLM 71 that I think is not very accurate maybe a tad on the olive side. Your Stuka is looking great and has come to life with the addition of the decals. Looking forward to seeing the masking coming off the canopy.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely work Paul, coming together well and it looks great. Surprising that the Battle OF Britain decals are hard to come by. One thing I would point out is to check the positioning of the schnauzer emblem. I think it should be pointing forward, nose into the airflow? I remembered seeing a pic or two of this emblem on Stukas and a quick search shows them all pointing nose forward.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You're both right of course. I've been trying to speed through this build and in my haste have dropped a proper clanger. I have replacement decals the problem I have is that the ones on the model are under a coat of Klear and now satin varnish! To add to my list of woes I've managed to crack one of the canopy parts.

I've been rushing this build of late and I think it's beginning to tell. I'm not enjoying this as much as I was! Work and other commitments have prompted me to get my skates on and try and finish this before the end of March. Seems more haste less speed is very much the case here.

I could scream!

AaaaaaaAaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Paul is there any way that you could overlay the replacement decals directly over the top thus eliminating the need to remove the other ones? I hope this works out as your build so far is outstanding!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul is there any way that you could overlay the replacement decals directly over the top thus eliminating the need to remove the other ones?
Hi Vaughan

As Baldrick would say, 'I have a cunning plan...' at least I hope so!

This is happening in real time so I'll let you know!!!!

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nope failed. The replacement decals were brittle and disintegrated.

I'm gonna have to step away from this build for while otherwise this Stuka will be dive bombing into the bin!

I'll order some more decals, take a deep breath and come back to this later. Probably late April now.

Damn it!

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nope failed. The replacement decals were brittle and disintegrated.I'm gonna have to step away from this build for while otherwise this Stuka will be dive bombing into the bin!

I'll order some more decals, take a deep breath and come back to this later. Probably late April now.

Damn it!

Paul
As Lord Black Adder would of said: "Oh Bollocks Baldric".

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think you are doing the right thing to step back and have a fresh look in a while. I'm sure we've all been there ourselves. It's looking really good and I'm sure that you will finish it off eventually.

I managed to get the fist crushing a Messerschmitt on the Polish chequer board, featured on the nose of Lanowski's P-47, upside down a few years ago :sad:

As far as St.G 2 goes that whole Gruppe was based around Falaise at the beginning of July 1940 for the 'Channel Battles' and the subsequent BoB. The Stab (under Major Oskar Dinort) and I Gruppe (Hauptmann Hubertus Hitschhold) was at St Malo. II Gruppe (Hauptmann Walter Enneccerus) was at Lannion and III Gruppe (Hauptmann Heinrich Brucker) at St Trond.

The dog is a 'Scottish Terrier' and was the emblem of the Gruppen Stab and various Staffeln of I./St.G 2. Hitschhold, I Gruppe Kommandeur, apparently owned one. The background disc would be in the Staffel colour. This one looks white and would be for 1./St.G 2.

His nose is indeed pointing forward.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Steve

Yes, the red emblem is 2./St.G2. There is a possibility that the emblem may be wrong anyway in that in early campaigns the dog was the colour on a white field. So 2/.St.G2 would be a red dog on a white circle.

I've ordered the decals now so I'm going to content myself that it had changed by the BoB!

The decal foul up really was a silly, schoolboy error on my part. Like I said, 'too much haste...'

What is bothering me more is the fact that I've managed to crack one of the canopy parts. I've just contacted Pocketbond (the UK Trumpeter distributor) and they say they can't help because I don't have a receipt. I offered to pay for the parts too but still no joy.

I tried to mask the circle and airbrush the dog out - I quickly abandoned this idea. I then tried the other decals which are old Kagero and they just disintegrated. So, i've ordered the new EagleCal set and I'll lay those over the existing ones on the model.

The canopy is another story and one I may have to live with. The crack isn't that noticeable but I'm afraid it may get worse and then break altogether. The crack is just on the top of the pilot's sliding canopy.

Oh well, I'll feel differently in April and hopefully have some renewed enthusiasm for, what has been up till very recently, a very enjoyable build. What's made it less enjoyable is not the breaking of canopies or the wrong placement of decals but rushing the finish to accommodate other events.

Here's a pic of where Rudolph stands at the mo...

...and cracked canopy...

It's not really visible in the photo but is there.

TTFN

Paul