1/32 Battle of Britain build part 2- Stuka! Trumpeter's Ju 87 b-2

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hope you get the decals sorted Paul . Its looking superb now , the filter youve put on the paintwork gives it just the right look , toning down the rlm 71 perfectly , its a class build , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sorry about the decal issue Paul. Overall I think this is a magnificent build so far. The crack on the canopy as you say is not visible in the photo, it might just be one of those little things you know is there but no one else would notice.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers guys

In hindsight I think mistakes were inevitable given the speed at which I was working. I've actually cleaned up the bench, airbrushes, packed parts away and feel calmer about the build now.

Tony: I haven't actually applied any filters yet, although a satin varnish has been applied. It's strange though because satin/matte varnishes normally lighten everything. Still, I'm glad you like the paint work:smiling3:

Joe: don't worry, this build will be finished with corrected decals and (probably) a new canopy, even if I have to buy another kit!

Thanks for pointing out the schnauzer emblems (this isn't sarcasm!!!!). If left to my own devices the realisation would finally dawn on me when photographing the final model and then I would be crestfallen (by that I mean absolutely fudging gutted).

It's up to Vaughan now with the splinter pattern!

It feels like a scene from a war movie...

Rudolph the Red Nose Stuka: Leave me Storchy I'm not going to make it...

Storchy: Don't you worry Rudi we'll get through this...

Rudolph: Give me some more morphine.

Storchy: you got it Rudi

Rudolph: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that's better

...it's been a trying week.

Cheers

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is the first chance I've had to read your thread from start to end. A lot of great work going on here. Very impressed.

Colin m

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Colin, glad you like the thread!

Decals replaced

(Training these pooches to turn round)

Quick update on the Stuka:

Managed to get the Stg emblems on the right way round and I think, once the satin varnish is on, they will look great.

You may also notice that I've cleaned up the exhausts. I left the exhausts in the fuselage when painting as I didn't want paint inside the tight fitting apertures. Because of this it was necessary to clean all the paint and varnish off of the exhausts and this was done with a bit of cellulose thinners and an old toothbrush. They were then given a good wash in soapy water.

Something else I forgot to mention was the replacement of the kit pitot tube. I replaced the stock plastic part with a piece of micro brass tubing with a piece of cut down hyperdermic needle in the end. This is much stronger than the kit part and has had one or 2 knocks without damage - result!

It will be late April now before tackling the canopy and finishing this aircraft but I just wanted to show that it's still here and not in the bin!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great recovery with the decals Paul it's looking the biz. April is just around the corner so the finish is in sight.

D

dubster72

You've pulled the day decal disaster back from the brink Paul! Looks the piece of fine work that it is.

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers guys

Not too much to do now I'm on the home straight!

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nearly there!

Well, after a few weeks away from the bench I've finally got a bit of time to finish the Stuka.

Here she is at the moment...

It may not look a whole lot different since last time but believe me an awful lot of work has been going on.

1. The canopy has been sorted. Yep, I managed to get another canopy and then set about the whole polishing process again, then masking etc, etc

2. A 'Pro Modeller' wash has been applied to highlight panel lines, rivets, detail etc. Note: The wash I've used may not be called 'Pro Modeller' anymore, I've a feeling they've changed their name.

3. Smaller details added - small fiddly things like the stabiliser struts, handles inside the canopy, the aerial mast

4. The bombs have been added - painted, weathered and then attached to the aircraft.

5. The Starboard wing gun cover is finished.

This is part of the Eduard external etch set. I soldered the delicate frame to the panel for increased strength. This was then painted and weathered before adding to the wing.

6. The wing walkway panels have been painted.

7. I've also finished the MG15 and it's ready for fitting to the rear of the canopy but I'm going to leave that till tomorrow.

And so it's just about finished.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to attach the aerial wire, weather the aircraft and add a bit more definition to the panel lines etc. and then get the model photographed properly. If I manage to do this then this will probably be the last build entry but not the end of this build log. I will as promised give a full honest appraisal of all the bits and pieces I've used in this build and include supplier's web addresses etc

And that's it for now. Hopefully this will be finished tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some fantastic detail in this build Paul.

Ian M

D

dubster72

Top stuff Paul, I'm glad you've got back to this one, it's a masterpiece.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Paul it has been well worth the wait.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome work Paul, such attention to detail and finishing has produced a fantastic result. Look forward to seeing the final pictures tomorrow :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice job paul, the aftermarket has been accessed a lot for this build I see. Love the detailing. Really a solid job.

John :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Did you use a resin replacement for the machine gun (MG 15) Paul?

John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys for your continued support, I do hope you like the finished pics which will be uploaded shortly.

In the meantime I want to tie up a few loose ends...

Finishing Touches

In my previous 109 build I was asked how I make the aerial tensioning spring and the cones for the insulators. The technique I use is not that difficult to master, if you're patient, and i think adds quite a bit of value in terms of extra detail.

First up - making the cone

You need to prepare yourself with all the tools necessary to start with. This includes a fine drill bit, a lighter or candle flame and some thin plastic card. Gently soften the plastic card by melting it over the flame (try not to burn it).

Then push the drill bit into the softened plastic creating the cone. Be quick when doing this

You'll probably need to have a few goes at this but this isn't difficult.

Choose the best 'Cone' and trim it using a scalpel

Shape it and sand it to the correct size (about 2-3mm). Then drill through it with the fine drill bit.

Now the tension spring

Coil some 5 amp fuse wire round the fine drill bit.

Push it tight together whilst still on the drill bit.

And there you have it your cone and tension spring ready to add to you model.

Other details...

Did you use a resin replacement for the machine gun (MG 15) Paul?
John - the rear MG on my Stuka has had the barrel replaced with a brass upgrade from Master Models.

The finished model...

Pics of the finished model can be found here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/battle-of-britain-1-32-ju87-b-2-build-trumpeter-complete.27098/

Hope you enjoy the finished pics of this BoB Stuka and I hope the build was of interest.

Thanks everyone

Paul

PS. Reviews will follow soon

Last edited by a moderator: