1/32 caudron 450 racer

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi all, its been very quiet on the aircraft side of things lately,so here to redress the balance is my latest. This is the williams bros kit of the caudron 450 racer in 1/32 scale.This aircraft won the 1934 coupe de deutsch air race flown by maurice arnoux ,and in later c460 form with retractable undercarriage scored more wins including the thompson trophy in 1935. After buying this on e-bay cause it took my fancy ,im really into 1930's racers at the moment,having bought 3 more! (different types of course)Check out www.air racing history .com its fascinating stuff .Kit built out of the box except for addition of wine foil cushions and harness and scratchbuilt starter dog on the prop. Painted in hycote aerosol from the tin , thanks for looking , cheers tony

View attachment 20119

View attachment 20120

View attachment 20121

View attachment 20122

View attachment 20123

View attachment 20124

View attachment 20125

View attachment 20126

View attachment 20127

P1050030 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050092 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050096 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050097 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050101 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050102 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050103 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050104 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050105 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

S

Sky Raider

Brilliant job again mate. Quite a subject you have touched on there. I have been following the REDBULL Air Race. How these guys manage these circuits is beyond me. Well done again.

Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers andy, I always try to catch the red bull races on the telly too, brilliant stuff i love it! These 1930's racers were really cool looking ,very flash gordon, im hooked on them at the moment , thanks tony

S

Sky Raider

I have a Mustang in the workshop at the moment mate, a little too soon for me to be flying that yet. It has seen some action and im wanting to strip it and recover it with the REDBULL decals, should look cool. Another one to add to the list.

Cheers

Andy

C

Caledonia

Tony,

Another beauty, must try this Hycote sometime, gives excellent results. You must have a production plant to maintain your output, and I suspect a vineyard for all these harnesses raw materials - am I right.

Keep up the excellent work. Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers derek, thanks for the comments. I usually have about 3 on the go at the same time (kits that is not bottles of wine!!) so when ones drying,setting etc i can do something on one of the others.As for the wine foil ive found myself looking not so much at the contents of the bottle but at the type of foil!!!! but i always save it, its useful for allsorts. Id definitely recommend trying the hycote aerosols, ive used several colours now(silver,yellow,blue)and if your kit is one colour overall theyre really quick and give a great finish. cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yo Tony, I am guilty of negect lately in respect of viewing other types of models other than armour. So to redress the balance I've been looking at this.

What a superb finish you have to this aircraft, really top notch stuff.

I like the up close, in your face photos too, this is a good indication that you too rate it mate, and rightly so....Well done!

Is this Hycote readily available and in matt too?

:plane: 'ows about that for a colour match?!!!

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron ,hope you had a jolly weekend. thanks for your comments,yes i was pleased with how it turned out,its just a fantastic looking machine too.The hycote is car spray paint so try your local accessory shops(halfords dont have it though,but theyre own is very good too but a bit more expensive) so you can get most car colours plus the basic colours like aluminium, black ,white ,plus red oxide,grey and white primers, so the only ones in matt finish would be these primers plus matt black.You could always paint a matt acrylic varnish over the top though. Btw i never thought,yes its a great match!! cheers mate, tony :plane::bigthumb:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
ron, had a quick google(!?) and couldnt come up with any shops in your neck of the woods selling hycote car paints.Thats not to say that there arent any though ,its still worth trying a few car spares shops .For anyone else this side of the pennines ,wilco motosave stock the full range . sorry i couldnt be of more use , cheers tony:computer:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for trying Tony. I have a couple of mates in the motor trade who are on the lookout for these paints, so if I get a result I will post the info on this thread if that's O.K.?

:beer:

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
no probs mate!! cheers tony :beer:

selrach

SMF Supporter
Nice Job Yak face. Did you polish the paint with car wax or something?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi selrach ,no it was just straight out of the aerosol,2 thin coats then decals and 1 coat of klear.gives a great smooth shiny finish,perfect for a highly polished racer. cheers tony