1/32 Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind - Operation Starkey.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
First, a brief bit of history. You can skip this bit

Operation Starkey was a mock invasion of the Pas de Calais region, carried out in September 1943. No. 263 Squadron’s role was attacks on naval guns and flak positions at Hardelot in order to protect the ships of Operation Menagerie, carrying out a feint towards Boulogne.

To avoid confusion, identification markings were applied to all Allied aircraft. These are not the ‘special markings’, known as ‘invasion stripes’ applied for the real landings in Normandy in 1944. Surprisingly, the Starkey markings obscure the national markings (roundels), something expressly forbidden in the orders for Overlord (‘Stripes will on no case be painted over the national markings, which take precedence’).

‘Appendix F’ to the Air Force Operational Order for Starkey states that the area outboard of a datum line taken at the point where the wing Chord was 5 feet (263 Squadron just took this as outboard of the engine nacelles) was to be painted in black distemper (33B/382) with two stripes in white distemper (33B/376), 18” wide on single-engine types and 24” wide on twin-engine types. In addition, the nose on twin-engine aircraft was to be painted white, 5’6” back from the tip of the nose but not covering any Perspex panels.

No. 263 Squadron flew to Manston on 7 September and eventually flew two missions in support of the operation. On 10th September the squadron returned to Warmwell, where the special markings were removed. The squadron diary for this day noted:

“The afternoon was spent in removing the zebra stripes bestowed on us for yesterday’s operation. The removal degenerated into a fair scale water fight and everyone got very wet.”

So apparently war was not always hell.

So here is Whirlwind P6974, an aircraft delivered to the squadron way back on 9 September 1940, so in terms of WW2 fighters it was getting on a bit. It has undergone various changes to its camouflage scheme. It’s coded HE-M and appears as flown by F./Lt. David George Ross (A Flight Commander) on Operation Starkey on 8th and 9th September 1943.

P2.jpg

PFQ2.jpg

PRQ2.jpg

S2.jpg

SFQ2.jpg

SRQ2.jpg

The stories of the men who flew these things are far more important than the aircraft themselves. Dave Ross is the man arrowed in this photograph.

Dave Ross.jpg

On the evening of 5 June 1944, flying in support of the invasion, he abandoned his Typhoon (MN761) about 15 miles south-east of the Isle of Wight. Despite desperate search efforts by other pilots of his Wing and the numerous ships making up the invasion fleets in the area, he was never found. He was just 24 years old.

When that photograph was taken there were about eighteen months of the war to go. Four of the men standing (including Ross) and two of those sitting did not survive the war.

Lest we forget.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a great result Steve. I'm afraid I knew nothing about Operation Starkey so your intro was very interesting.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Steve and as always great to have the background history too.

Very well done.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice model, well built and photographed, and a moving story.
Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I haven't built a stand for it yet, so I just cobbled together some acrylic clamped in a vice for the photos!

I've got the model on an old stand with a brass rod, made years ago for some long forgotten project. I will make a proper stand for the Whirlwind...eventually :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great result Steve - another fine looking Whirlwind. The history and photographs really give the model some context and is a something I hadn't known about previously.
Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great info and a great build Steve , even on the temporary stand it is a beauty , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Glad you like it!

Question is, what next?

I'm going to be busy for a couple of weeks or so, but since I don't have a stash I'm going to have to order something to build next. I literally have no kits in my possession. Time for a rummage on t'internet to see what's available :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Glad you like it!

Question is, what next?

I'm going to be busy for a couple of weeks or so, but since I don't have a stash I'm going to have to order something to build next. I literally have no kits in my possession. Time for a rummage on t'internet to see what's available :smiling3:
I can only congratulate you on your restraint Steve!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Glad you like it!

Question is, what next?

The new Revell Hurricane?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work Steve. Great finish on a great aircraft. The usual very interesting historical summary as well……

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Very nice job Steve :thumb2:

Thanks for the backstory, very interesting.

Geoff.