1/32 Trumpeter Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2 Gunther Rall JG52

• Thread starter Airfix Modeller Freak
  • Start date
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

IMG_2959.JPG Next update- primed and pre shaded All gaps have been filled and sanded. Just some minor imperfections remain to be fixed
Oh, and Happy New Year

IMG_2958.JPG

First Name
Alex
That's interesting, I've never seen a model at this stage before with the panel lines sprayed black onto the primer coat. I'm still honing my skills at the moment and wonder if you could tell me, does the pre-shading work if you use brushes or is that mainly an effect better done with a spray gun? the reason I ask is that i'm currently in the process of building a Hawker Hurricane Mk1 and might consider trying this technique

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

That's interesting, I've never seen a model at this stage before with the panel lines sprayed black onto the primer coat. I'm still honing my skills at the moment and wonder if you could tell me, does the pre-shading work if you use brushes or is that mainly an effect better done with a spray gun? the reason I ask is that i'm currently in the process of building a Hawker Hurricane Mk1 and might consider trying this technique
Pre shading is mostly done with airbrushes. If done with a brush I think it will give a starker effect than the faded for subtle look that the airbrush gives to lend depth to the surface. It is really easy as long as you have a steady hand and eye. I normally track the rivets and panel lines for the pre shading. I use an Iwata HP-CH Hi Line, I have two of them (only one is really necessary) and that airbrush will do all of the work you need to do for modelling. Good luck with your hurricane.
Cheers, John
IMG_2960.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
First Name
Alex
Thanks, they aren't cheap are they! lol i take it you need a compressor to go with the airbrush too, and a spray booth

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Thanks, they aren't cheap are they! lol i take it you need a compressor to go with the airbrush too, and a spray booth
I use a cheap Chinese made AS-18A which cost me $100 AUD on eBay inc postage. What matters is that it has a gauge, water trap and is reliable, which is exactly mine. I don't really see the need to get an expensive compressor. What counts is the airbrush
Cheers, John
Very well done there John. Its hard to get all those preshading lines in order but youve done well mate
Thanks mate, my hand was shaking after finishing that!
John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Next update. RLM 04 Gelb and RLM 76 Lichtblau has been sprayed onto the under surfaces. Also, the wing roots have been sprayed with aluminum and the same has been done for the radio hatch, then I have used Mig Chipping fluid (hairspray technique) to create a worn effect. The pre shading has turned out really well, giving a nice perception of depth and tonal variation
Cheers, John
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Done most of the painting.... Also, the hairspray effect worked beautifully
IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2970.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Latest update. Some marking have gone on. The propellors and undercarriages have been built up in sub assemblies
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Made quite a bit of progress now. I can see the end in sight which is very encouraging!
John
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG