1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta 152H-1

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, these ladies of ours just don't understand.

Who wants to be out in the glorious sunshine, feet up, having a beer. totally at one with the world.......What a waste of time, when we could be cooped up in our little dens, no natural light, cramped and eyeballs hanging out straining to paint diddy bits of plastic.

Yep, they sure don't........

Cheers, (with ice)

Ron

Oh, cracking model thus far! lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No they don't. I've just lit the barbecue....it's amazing how useful some of our modelling supplies can be! All I need now is some fresh hair on the backs of my hands!!!!!

Cheers (with a nice cold glass of white)

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Early start this morning,I stuck the wings on.

Good fit but I'll sand down the rather too obvious moulded strip at the top of the fillet somewhat and then re-rivet it. Here's the bottom join,also a good fit.

I also fitted the engine which is fiddly. You have to line up attachments on the fire wall,main spar and lower engine supports whilst lining up the cannon shell ejection chute. It's one of those jobs where you could use an extra pair of hands and possibly a prehensile tail.

Here's a view underneath showing some of the gubbins in there. Most of this will be visible on the finished model which will be posed on its wheels.

The sharp eyed will have spotted that I''ve also stuck on the empennage,minus tailplanes. That was easy,it literally just glues on,a very good fit.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very neat work Steve, looking good. Your hands are obvoiusly back to some sort of normality.....No barbie today then?

Cheers (Beer today)

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slow progress with the engine/nose. I've had a few fit issues here. The engine was positioned correctly,all the various attachment points lined up,but when I came to fit the "radiator shroud" on the front it wouldn't fit over the gear housing. I had to remove the housing and shave about a millimetre off the rear face before re-attaching it to the engine. The "radiator shroud" now fitted. Great I thought,just bang on the radiator cores and we'll be sorted. Not so! The radiator cores also needed adjustment as they forced the cowling and cowl flap asembly too far forward. I removed 1-2mm of plastic from the back of the radiator cores (no fun on two semi-circular,bevelled faces) and finally got everything to line up okay.

Here's a side view.

And here's the nose on view,everything centred up and in line for when I eventually attach the propeller.

I need to check some piccies because I've got a feeling that the little part on top of the cowling flap assembly should lie flush with the upper cowl. If so that'll be a piece of cake compared to the other issues.

EDIT. It should indeed be flush with the upper cowl. I just removed the tab on the front of that cowl that was holding it up,sanded a bit of the back of the little piece and it fell into place with no problem.

Here's hoping the rest goes together a bit easier! "Dry fit several times and glue once", as a wiser man than me once said.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kressy13

Looking good Steve. These kits look amazing with all the detail involved. Keep up the good work mate. Doing great.

Cheers

Kresten

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
More slow progress,you do have to put a bit of effort in to this kit. I want the flaps up,why would they be down on a parked aircraft? Also by having them up I avoid having to deal with some nasty ejector pin marks. Mr Zoukei Mura wants them down. I've had to carefully shave the attachment points.

This was a case of "careful with that axe Eugene".....some of you are old enough to remember that one!

Then the flaps were virtually impossible to line up correctly so I've glued some tabs into the wing,made of clear styrene, to help keep them in position.

Meanwhile I've beavered away on various bits to be attached later and I've masked the canopy. The kit comes with masks but I appear to have mislaid them so I did it in my usual way. Unfortunately I can't comment on how good,or bad,the kit masks are!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on great now steve. Ive been following this one from the start, its a fantastic looking aircraft isnt it? Im with you on the flaps, its all well and good having the option to have everything hanging down but if you like to see an aircrafts clean uncluttered shape then the parts should fit perfectly without having to alter them, plus like you said ,flaps wouldnt normally be left deployed on the ground. Its like when you get seperate engine covers or gun access panels, the fit should be spot on if you want them closed but it rarely is(obviously tamiya 1/32 spit excepted!),the manufacturers seem to assume that everyone wants to do the kit with everything showing. Keep it up mate its going to be a corker, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the vote of confidence Tony! It's a great looking aircraft,I'll be doing it "zipped up" though the upper cowling and maybe the radio hatch and tail gear access hatch will be left openable (is that a word?) To be honest I had to close the two lower engine cowlings to keep everything in place. The only options are completely open or at least partially closed. I do like my models to give a good idea of how these amazing machines looked when they were ready for business rather than being serviced.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Due to a wedding in London I got a full stint in at the work bench and I've got me an airplane!

I like this bit,you can see the results of your labours and the sprues are starting to look bare.

There's a bit of fettling to be done but hopefully I'll have it primed sometime tomorrow. After that I've got a week away (work) to ponder how I'm going to paint it.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh Who got married? JOKING! even Her in Denmark we got to suffer, I mean See the WHOLE day!!!!!

I will say this though she is a good looking bird!

Talking of good looking birds, that one on your desk ain't to shabby either Steve.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Primed with good old Halfords plastic primer.

That's it for a while as I'm away for a week or so. I'll re-activate the thread when I start the next phase,everyone's Luftwaffe favourite,the camouflage scheme.

Cheers

Steve

H

Hunty22

This Halfords primer, which one is it? I can only seem to find an enamel primer....is that the one £6.99?

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve,I'm not sure what it costs,I tend to buy two or three cans when I see it in my local Halfords. This is the stuff I like,they also do white which I sometimes use and I think red,which I don't.

Cheers

Steve

H

Hunty22

Thanks mate, wasn't the one I was looking at, good job I asked.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I haven't given up on this one! I've got a day at home so have used this morning to get a coat of RLM76 on the fuselage and lower surfaces. For variation I was going to do the empennage in a different shade (it was a sub-assembly) but just can't see it that way in my references. I've settled on a variation on the ailerons! The masked area down the fuselage and wing undersides will be in a natural metal finish,various shades of aluminium.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Masking reversed,I usually give Xtracrylix a couple of hours before masking. This works 9 out of 10 times,we'll see what happens later. I've sprayed a coat of Alclad II "Duraluminium" over all the area to be in an aluminium finish. Later I will spray different shades on various panels and hatches.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

What a lovely kit and a new brand to me. However, you are definitely the man for the job it's coming along a treat! This is going to be superb, can't wait to see the finished thing!

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Basic camo done! Post -shading and some touch ups (ooh-errr!) needed. I also messed up the wiggly demarcation on the leading edge of the wing. I've re-sprayed a straight edge and will have another go at the wiggle once my compressor has cooled down.

I struggled with the mottle pattern. Most profiles show quite heavy mottling but the few photos I have of the 1:1 version seem to show a very sparse mottling so that's what I've done. I can always add more if I change my mind!

Cheers

Steve