1/35 KV-1S Russian Tank completed

I

IanTheWelder

Well, here is my Russian Kv-1S from Eastern  Express (kit number  35100),  nice little kit, but with poor instructions, but got there in the end, there seemed to be extra sprues in the box, with a lot of `two of everything` so they`ve gone in the spares box.  Had big problems with the turret, and the little `brackets you had to glue on to keep the turret in place, they ended up breaking and i had to make new ones from scratch, - as a result the turret is very loose fitting.

Another mistake was that it was only after i had applied hairspray, that i noticed one of the turret decals was not `level`, but slanting tapered - too late to do anything then :sad:

This particular model is based on photos i found online, and is from the moscow region, around December 1942 - late spring the year after.

Great kit to build, even better to paint, and this is my first time using the hairspray technique. First off, i sprayed the tank, a dark/mis -green, using artists acrylics, it was then left to dry.The decals were then applied. Two coats of hairspray were then applied, and again left to dry. Using Valejo Model Color Acrylic `Off White`, i then sprayed over most of the tank, to give the winter camo look. After it dried, using warm soapy water and an old toothbrush, i gently scrubbed in areas to make the tank weathered and worn, dabbing exccess water/soap off with kitchen roll. Probably scrubbed a bit too much off but hey-ho, i was enjoying myself :smiling3:

The tow cables were found in a box of picture hanging hooks, and is actually real `wound` wire, which came in handy.

all in all, the end product looks ok i think. Was certainly happy with my first hairspray technique, which i`ll definately use again.

regards to the group,

ian

KV1S - Copy.PNG

P1120349.JPG

P1120350.JPG

P1120351.JPG

P1120352.JPG

P1120354.JPG

P1120355.JPG

P1120356.JPG

P1120358.JPG

P1120359.JPG

P1120360.JPG

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice Ian, love the Rooski brutes, nice technique used to create a convincing worn winter camo. Am considering a winter camo scheme for my SU76 SSIG but have always avoided the white wash but the hairspray method has got me curious, maybe I'll give it a shot. Again great work ;) ........jim

I

IanTheWelder

Very nice Ian, love the Rooski brutes, nice technique used to create a convincing worn winter camo. Am considering a winter camo scheme for my SU76 SSIG but have always avoided the white wash but the hairspray method has got me curious, maybe I'll give it a shot. Again great work ;) ........jim

thanks Jim, yes, after watching countless youtube videos on the hairspray technique, it was kinda like, `well, here goes!` in the end, it worked well, whith using warm water and detergent, it tends to get too soapy, so you have to keep dabbing the area (you are scrubbing/scratching) -to get the excess foam off and the same for the toothbrush. at first it does not seem to come off but after a few seconds you can see it working. go for it :smiling3:  

D

dubster72

Well done for taming the Eastern Express brute Ian! Years ago I tried building one of their KV-1s & gave up because it was so ill-fitting.

You've done an excellent job on the winter camo, I can't see the slanting decals!

Top marks sir!