1/35 Mk.VIII " International " or " Liberty " Tank - home 3D printed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Mk.VIII was designed jointly by the UK & US, with French input, for the great offensive to finally crush the Germans in 1919. Events of November 1918 changed this - plans for mass production were scrapped- and only 5 were made in the UK. Around 100 were produced in the US & they served until 1932 in their heavy tank battalion.
mark-viii-international-liberty-tank_5.jpg
Not many models - the only one I could find was https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19555463...nNhZJRbDXY399g675FQzasjpKP|tkp:Bk9SR7q01Ir5YQ
I found the 3D files for the Mk.VIII on the Cults website, by MATTOSILVER, and cost me 9.07 Euros
Mk VIII.jpg
There are some horrific files, with the model in one piece, but there are other folders with the bits in printable chunks. This is no tiddler, in 1/35 it's 300mm long & 100+ wide. I've been steadily printing bits - so far, I think it's around 48 hours printing time...................
I'll put up pictures of the bits tomorrow, before clean up. There are still a few bits that I haven't printed yet, the really delicate parts ( rails on the top of the tank ), but those are really final assembly bits!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in please .
Hopefully you manage those fiddly thin bits alright Dave .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm in please .
Hopefully you manage those fiddly thin bits alright Dave .
The machine gun barrels are just a bit too small, they sag & twist - I'll slow everything right down, to see if that helps - if not, they're not too difficult to scratch!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Keep going Dave, looking forward to seeing this monster...
Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The biggest parts printed. The Anet has printed all the blue parts. As I get towards the end of a spool of filament, I transfer it to the Monoprice - which is why there are different colour parts
DSCF4326.JPG
Main tracks - these incorporate the tracks & have a recess in the back to take the inside detail............
DSCF4330.JPG
Inside detail parts. The main hull will be sandwiched between these
DSCF4327.JPGDSCF4329.JPGDSCF4331.JPG
The fine print lines will disappear under primer & basecoat. I find the tiny filament whiskers can be removed with a wire brush ( gently applied )
DSCF4332.JPG
Main hull blocks - not a lot of detail!
DSCF4333.JPG
Sponsons & the top superstructure
DSCF4335.JPG
Turrets, guns & radiator panels

The parts need cleaning up - I'm using a cutter in my rotary tool, a bit messy, but a lot quicker - you have difficulty in using sanding drums in the power tool - it melts the PLA! A cutter takes it away & as long as you don't press too hard, it's OK. I'll be using epoxy to stick the main parts together. I had to print up some dowels for locating the big bits, not supplied in the files
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So at current prices, did the electricity needed for the printing cost more or less than €76? ;)

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Of course, I didn't figure in the cost of the original file - 9.07 Euros - but that would be divided by the number of copies I print off. I think I can count on at least one more print.............
Dave