1:35 RC M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My method does sound a bit brutal Bill, but when I started my modelling, weathering pigments ect. were almost unheard of, so I had to look at what was available and polyfilla was all there was!!

I am not knocking modern methods but I have in the past seen models ruined by too much fiddling regards to weathering and generally 'roughing up' ending up with what I call 'squeaky clean' weathering.

Just take a look at military archive photos and footage and just look at the state of some of the vehicles and troops!

O.K. soap box kicked away.

I'm sure whatever method of finish you choose the end result will look good.

:cheers:

Ron

D

dubster72

Ron, can't we say 'fart' on here then? :nono: As Bill said, I'll test that on something I haven't spent days working on to see how it turns out-but then I bet the guy who won Euro-Militaire with his then-wacky idea about using hairspray was probably told the same thing! :thumbs-up

Patrick

D

dubster72

I didn't see your last post Ron-when you started modelling? Didn't you have keep an eye out for the dinosaurs? hehe only kidding! I meant the Vikings!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I didn't see your last post Ron-when you started modelling? Didn't you have keep an eye out for the dinosaurs? hehe only kidding! I meant the Vikings!Patrick
Sorry to go off thread Bill, but I've just been clouted by a gauntlet!!!!

Now listen 'young' Patrick, I have just worked out when I started making models proper like.....Airfix Bismark,1960, back of a dormobile, touring Scotland with mum/dad...promptly sick down dad's driving seat through bending doing model!!!!

So let's have some respect for your elders, squirt!!

:wheelchai Oh, while I'm at it, I will probably be off line for a while with a royal hang over. The present Mrs. Ron is having a surprise birthday party on Sat. so we will be boogying the night away, much to the disgust of our two nearly 40yr.old sons.

More beer!!!!!

Thanks for your patience, Bill. No more, honest!

:beer:

Ron

135warrior

lmao, not a problem ron, just found a tutorial on the mig pigments on youtube, and decided to give that idea a quick blast, but using powdered pastels instead. To be honest I didn't know how it was going to turn out, but its looking pretty good at the mo. Once I have dusted it down a little and got it right i'll post some pics.

Cheers,

Bill.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Ok well I have some photos from last night of the hull, bit grubbier than before. I also removed the small windows and put some new ones in because they had lost their shine and had all kinds of paint on them. As you can see they are painted a pinky red colour, which is painted inside the hull to try to replicate the windows seen on the real thing. They have a kind of perlesant effect to the which I couldn't get as close as I would have liked but it give the idea and maintains the shine on the window.This was also to conceal whats going on inside as I think a huge battery pack might be quite unsightly.

Cheers,

Bill.
looking great now,bill,keep it up.Something that might be useful for your windows is holographic confetti.Check out the entry on the unconventional materials thread (i think its on page 1) cheers tony

D

dubster72

I'll crave your indulgence as well Bill while I apologise to Ron for being disrespectful! Grovel grovel! Have a good night tomorrow Ron! Looking forward to seeing the new pics Bill, I'm doing the same as you, using pastels to see what effects they have. Patrick

135warrior

well guys, have some new photos for ya, just need to sort them out. I love the pastel effect, as it would seem that varying thicknesses of the material give different effects. I imagine mixing it with pva will also add a shine to create wet mud effect, but that is yet to be explored.

With my hull, i simply mixed varying colour pastels into a wash and covered all the parts I wanted to be dusty. Then, when dry, using a stiff brush first to remove the heavy build up, and then a soft brush to blend it a little. Repeat as desired.

View attachment 19952

View attachment 19953

View attachment 19954

View attachment 19955

DSCF1773.jpg

DSCF1779.jpg

DSCF1784.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

135warrior

Hey tony, just realised you posted.. Think thats a great idea about the holographic confetti, i might very well give that a go today.. anything has got to look better than red paint :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
no probs bill,make sure you get the see through type though.Usually its in shapes like bells or hearts,just get the largest size shapes you can and cut bits out of it.I thinkl i got mine from a birthday card shop. cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The dust effect is starting to build up nice now Bill, keep posting stage pickies

Er, pickie 4.....so it's you that nicked my scissors, I've had the dog to the vets thinking he'd scoffed 'em...The big B*****d eats everything else!!

:dog: Ron

135warrior

Hey guys, thought I would quickly post this one too, same thing, but also applied to the wheels and track, although the track could probably do with another coat?

cheers,

bill.

View attachment 19957

DSCF1834.jpg

135warrior

ha ha nice one ron, You'll notice I moved everything out of the way for my last pick, The last thing I want is people realising where there stuff has gone :grinball1:

135warrior

Heu guys, im trying to work with these rubber tracks, and obe honest, I don't like them at all. do you guys know if the friulmodel tracks exist for this model, becuase I can't seem to find them on google at all. I would love to give them a go, as I have found a tutorial on the net teaching you how to use a product called 'blacken it' to weather the tracks. This stuff actually corrodes the metal tracks and causes them to rust, which would mean they would look much more impressive, and I imagine they would hang better on the tank than the rubber version.

Here is the link for that tut anyway..

http://www.ipmslasvegas.org/Friulmodel1.htm

V

victor72

did the snap catches come with this kit or did you have to make them?....thanks, Victor