1/35 Rooikat AFV (Trumpeter)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi all, it's been a while since I last built any 1/35 modern armour in my late teen and early twenties.

To re-engage with the subject I thought it would be great to build modern AFV's from the SADF (South African Defence Force) when they had AFV and troop carriers featuring some of the most forward thinking designs. MRAP is now a catch phrase in wheeled troop carriers, the SADF had the buffel in the 1970's. The French Panhard ML90, more commonly known as the the Eland 90, also fondly referred to as the "Noddy Car" due to the nodding action of the vehicle on firing it's 90mm gun, was the mainstay infantry support up to to introduction of the Ratel APC. The Eland could no longer travel as fast as the Ratel off road in the bush warfare environment of north South West Africa (Namibia) and south Angola. It's interim replacement was the Ratel 90, which effectively was the Ratel APC specially fitted out with the Eland 90 turret, these AFV's ran hit and run tactics defeating Soviet T34-85's and T55's during the course of the bush war.
eland_mk7-90_04_of_22.jpg

The true replacement for the Eland 90 was to be the Rooikat, but this did not make it in time for the bush war, but embraces all the doctrines of the SADF's mobile warfare in its design. Light, durable, range, speed, firepower.

The version I'm intending to build is the standard 76mm variant, there is a 105mm export variant and technology testbed variant with an automated turret as well a prototype SPAAG variant and most likely an anti tank missile version in the works.

Trumpeter Rooikat.jpeg

This will be fun, and I intend on using SADF colours for my build and not the camo pattern sported by the SANDF version.

Till next time.

Attachments

• Panhard_Eland_Vehicles.jpg
    Panhard_Eland_Vehicles.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool, I built one of these a few years ago, as I quite like the look of the vehicle. The kit is typical Trumpeter: interesting subject, but not that great quality moulding and not getting things quite right everywhere. I didn’t bother correcting anything because I wanted a quick, out-of-the-box build, so it will be interesting to see how yours compares :smiling3:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya!

Started on the Rooikat, as expected it is not as diminutive as the “Noddy Car”, here are some images of the hull, and main hull components.
not exactly small.jpeg
main hull components.jpeg

Started the suspension, what a mission for a wheeled vehicle. You'd expect this level of complexity with a tracked vehicle.:dizzy:

Suspension instructions.jpeg
1st 2 lots of pieces.jpeg1st 2 assembled - not so straightforward.jpeg

This is gonna take a while…
:face_with_spiral_eyes:

Anyway, I’m always up for a challenge.

Till next time
:vulcan_salute:t3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Different!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very interesting background Gavin. Looks typical Trumpeter. Many small parts where fewer would do. Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Reactions: JR

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, the fiddly suspension has gone in and it's ready for wheels. (much later)

Here are some images of more suspension assembly work.
More suspension.jpeg
Rear suspension fitted.
Rear Suspension on.jpeg
Full suspension fitted
Suspension on.jpeg
I started on the front and rear hull armour plates. The pinned shackles on the sprue sheet leave a lot to be desired, so I decided to rework it. Most unimpressive parts.
Unispressive pinned shackle.jpeg
I decided to rework them with brass rod.
My revised pinned shackle.jpeg

I'm happier with the end result.

Till the next update, thanks for watching.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya all!

I'm back in the seat, had my hip replacement op on the 28th Jan. The new one is still wearing in but more importantly, not painful. I have been busy with the Rooikat during my recovery. It is now nearing completion.

Here are some images of my work to date:

primed and ready to go.jpeg
Primed and ready to go..

Vallejo BS Dark Earth.jpeg
Colour of choice, Vallejo BS Dark Earth

upper hull looking good.jpeg
Not looking too bad, was overcast that day.

brown turd.jpeg
Mostly assembled and looking like a large brown turd.......:worried:

turret pin washed.jpg
Turret, fully fitted, pin washed and looking a whole lot better. Phew!:relieved:

hull pin washed.jpeg
The hull is now pin washed and looking better for it.

Well, that is where I am now and thanks for watching. :thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Let there be dust!

Found a great product, Modellers Pigment, Brown Earth. I am in the process of applying it liberally to my Rooikat.

rooikat - red dust.jpg
As you can in this image of a test bed variant, the dust really sticks.

Dust 1.jpeg
This is what I am trying to emulate with my build.

Thanks for watching.
:vulcan_salute:t3: