1/35 Tamiya Jagdpanther

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Never built an armour kit before and i might be diving head first into the deep end here but that's how you progress at times. So be warned i might be asking alot of questions regarding painting and weathering lol

One of my favorite tanks ever here. The German Jagdpanther. it saw action in Normandy with Schwere Panzerjaeger-Abteilung 654

YouTube - Appears in Normandy Panzerjäger V Jagdpanther

Here are some sprue shots

View attachment 23439View attachment 23438 View attachment 23437

View attachment 30079

View attachment 30080

View attachment 30081

020120112077.jpg

020120112076.jpg

020120112075.jpg

020120112077.jpg

020120112076.jpg

020120112075.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

If it's anythig like your other models Allyne, we're in for a treat.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Richard.

Ok first question. I know it's quite a way off yet but how do you paint the tracks? They are plastic/rubber. Presume some sort of primer first?

N

noble

Hi Allyne the way i find best is this prime the tracks then paint using Flat earth colour from tamiya, once dry you can use pastels or pigments to suitably rust .

scott

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is good stuff Allyne, nice subject. Great to see fly boys having a go at armour and tankies trying out aircraft. Can't do anything but good for the modelling game.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Allyne

Nice choice of armour. With regards to the tracks first prime them (usual Halford's stuff is fine) paint them a mid brown, then wash them with a dark black/brown oil thin-mix; once dry apply pigments mud etc, and then rub the tops of the cleats and guide teeth with an oily steel colour to simulate the exposed contact points.

You will almost certainly need Zimmerit applied to this piece. If you need any help with this just give me shout.

Good luck with the tank Jagdpanther

Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Paul. According to the info i have this unit stopped using Zimmerit in Sept 1944 and it was mostly fitted to the early version (Eastern front) jagdpanthers. But if you know different then please advise.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok i'm stuck again (going to be alot of this i think). Just made up the road wheels and the instructions are calling for the outer rim to be painted flat black (XF-1). Was just wondering if this was just a paint that was applied or was it actually a rubber ring that was around these wheels?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Allyne

The outer rim black is in fact a tyre. The road wheels on German tanks continued with tyres until resources ran out and all steel wheels were developed, so yes paint them a tyre very dark grey (but not black).

I believe the Jagdpanthers of 654 Panzerjeager would definitely have had zimmerit - the cross hatched type (pictured) September 1944 would be after Normandy. Also, I think that all those used in Normandy were of the early or mid types (differentiated by a smaller flush-fitting mantlet without the 3 bolts at the base). The 2nd pic is actually one of the 654 Jagdpanzers captured by the 6th Guards Tank Brigade and the type is definitely early.

View attachment 23442View attachment 23443

I'm really sorry but I think the type you have is probably more applicable to the Ardennes offensive. There is a conversion kit available if you're that bothered (see below)

Atak CONVERSION for JAGDPANTHER Early Model (RESIN PARTS) For TAMIYA Kit Scale: 1/35 #35A08 UK

I'm really sorry to be telling you this so early in the build as I really wanted this to be right for you, but that's what my research tells me. You can of course just build it OOB I'm sure it will look great and the finish (zimm or not) is totally up to you.

Do the Tamiya painting guides give markings for a Normandy vehicle? If so this is curious...

I really hope I haven't dampened your spirits on this.

all the best

Paul

View attachment 30084

View attachment 30085

Cross hatch Zimm.jpg

654 Pz JG.jpg

Cross hatch Zimm.jpg

654 Pz JG.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Paul the Tamiya markings are unknown unit 1944 and 560th Heavy tank Destroyer Batt (Ardenne Dec 1944). I guess they may have been used later in the conflict as the unit was continually being issed with jagdpanthers throughout the war from the invasion onwards.

Not sure what to do now. Really getting into building this kit. Might have to drop it for a standard Panther.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Allyne

Listen, I really didn't want to put you off this build and it really is an interesting subject (the particular panzerjaeger abteilung you mention). Personally, I would really like to see this completed. I suppose it really depends on whether you want to go to the expense of the conversion kit, which shouldn't be too difficult to fit and I think is quite reasonably priced when you consider that the Dragon Early Jagdpanther is £45. Interestingly, there is an actual example of this vehicle in the Imperial War Museum with a cut away side, it wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't one of the 654 tank destroyers.

If it were me I'd go with the Jagdpanther, but if you are going to go for a Panther then better to go for the late 'A' version as most photographed examples in Normandy were of this type although there were some 'G's as well. Any help with Zimmerit or anything else I'll gladly give.

All the best

Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i've decided to go ahead with this build. After trawling through pages and pages on the internet there seems to be no difinitive answer as to which type of tank they had and the late version was issued from may 1944 onwards. So i am going to allow for a little poetic licence and give it a go. As i said i'm out of my comfort zone with armour so this is a total learning process for myself.

Thanks for the offer on Zimmerit Paul. I'm going to do it without as building armour and then trying to weather it is going to be more than enough for me to cope with at the moment lol

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sky Raider

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

looking good Alyne! I'm still trying to decide what luftwaffe kit to build for this gb and you're already test fitting major parts! I better get a move on

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good job I took a look now, it'll be finished and off the board at the w/end!

Nice work Allyne, paint the wheels before they finally go on mind..lol

Ron