1/35 Tamiya Jagdpanther

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Given the tank a coat of Xtracrylix Flat varnish and added some soot pastel to the gun barrel. Next thing to do is the tracks. well nervous about that. Going to use halfords primer first then a brown base with rust pigment rubbed inbetween the links. Unless someone has a better method?

View attachment 24145

View attachment 30665

220120112127.jpg

J

JFJ

This looks good Allyne. Nice work on the body. Did you mask the camo or paint free hand?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Painted freehand.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just about to start painting the tank commander but have no idea what humbrol paint to use for the uniform. The instructions say Tamiya XF-65 but there is no 'green' conversion for it only a grey colour which i don't think is correct. Any ideas guys?

R

rogue-one

looking crackin so far allyne. best of luck with the tracks. i'd give u my advise by i'm just learning too, best getting it from the pro's.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok i made a slight boo boo in rushing around building this tank. Just realised i glued the body together and totally forgot to put the periscopes inside.....DOH!

So i've split the body again which was quite easy and very little damage to the mating surfaces. Started adding the periscopes and decided to make one of them a little more detailed. It didn't have the hole where the lens fits in and was instead just moulded flush. So i've drilled it out and will repaint it then add some pva glue to represent the lens when it drys clear. Here is the offending periscope

View attachment 24236

View attachment 30734

250120112132.jpg

F

Fenlander

Little details like that can help breath lif into a model Al, this does look very nice though. Great work on the freehand camo pattern,very nicely done.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Graham. ust tying out some new things here. Still happy about the kit althoough i keep puttng off painting the tracks lol

B

Bunkerbarge

Details like the periscope are what make a model stand out and be just that bit different. Excellent job Allyne and superb paint job, I'm sure it was a lot harder than the tracks will be.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Camera phone doesn't really pic out the detail as much as i wanted it too but it has worked. In the end i used Humbrol Clearfix for the lens as PVA wasn't giving me the right effect. Beccause here is air behind the 'lens' it makes it look real whe you see it in the flesh. Really happy in how this came out.

View attachment 24280

View attachment 30777

260120112134.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I got some chalk pastels from a local craft shop then scrapped off some dust. I then mixed it with pva glue and xtracrylix flat varnish

Bonus with the pastels is that they come in so many different shades

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good now Allyne. I like the bare metal on the drive wheels...Nice touch.

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron. Starting to look like a tank now eh? Really enjoying this build. Armour being a totally a new experience for me and is one that i intend to pursue. Quite looking forward to building my Panthers and King Tiger now. Why is the it the baddies always seem to have the best kit? :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Allyne, I see you mix your pastel dust with both PVA and matt varnish. Nowt wrong with that but you can easily drop the pva and just use the varnish. Just thought I'd mention it.

The Jagdpanther is looking better every time I look by. You are making a good job of it.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the kind words and good tip there Ian. Shall remember that for next time

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry for not posting any updates lately. Just back off holiday and also been working lots of different shifts so not been able to get any work done on it. Shouldd hopefully have it finished this week though :