1/35 Tamiya M551 Sheriden

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

There's a new kit of the Sheriden thats out with improved shape and details that's going the rounds of facebook. This is not it... but an old Tamiya first generation motorised kit. Back then there was no aftermarket stuff and Verlinden was still featuring his dios in Tamiya catalogues when I chanced on an article in a model magazine with plan drawings of a crows nest and pictures of a Sheriden in Vietnam. Things were in B/W then and plans hand drawn. Crued as they were I dived into trying my skills at scratch building. This is what turned out...unfortunately no WIP's and film processing was expensive then...

Also this was the first time I discovered Typex type writer correction sheets...grafitti was written on.

sh0001.jpg sh0002.jpgsh0003.jpg sh0004.jpgsh0005.jpg sh0006.jpgsh0007.jpg sh0008.jpgsh0009.jpg

Hope you like one of my earliest tanks.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Typex type writer correction sheets...grafitti was written on.
So I’m not the only one who thought that was a great use for that? :smiling3:

Not a bad-looking model, reminds me that I have one half-built that would have looked much the same had I ever finished it. The cupola armour is a bit thick, but it looks the part nonetheless.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you, Bob, Paul and Jakko,

Considering it was in the late eighties that I did this, it's still sitting on my shelf. :tears-of-joy:...ya, the armor thickness on the crows nest could stop an 88 shell. I hadn't heard of Plastruct or Evergreen then and worked on the two sizes I had...thick and thin.

Cheers,
Richard