1/4 Scale SE5a ( The Old Dutch )

S

Sky Raider

Let me explain the title The Old Dutch, short for Dutches. This was the pet name i had for my mom who sadly passed away a week ago today.

I will build this next project in her memory and will proudly display the name "The Old Dutch" on her sides for all to see. I know she would love such a tribute as she always showed interest in my building.

I will build this plane with all the love and affection that i have for her, i know it will be a slow and long building process but i will love every minute of it for the reason i am building it.

I will keep you guys up to date with step by step pics as usual. I intend to make a start on her tomorrow.

God Bless you and Keep you mom, until we meet again xxxxx

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Andy, I was so sorry to read about your mum. You have my condolences.

What a loving thought to dedicate the S.E. 5a to her.

Best wishes

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thank you Ian for you kind words. I have been suffering but building this in her memory will help alot. I will put my whole self into this build and will cherish her for ever.

Thanks again

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Andy my most sincere condolences for your loss. I know this will be a great build and good therapy to boot.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

Sorry to hear of your loss, you have my heart felt sympathy. Good luck with the build and I wish you and your family all the best.

Paul

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Sorry to here about your loss Andy, the S.E. 5 sounds like a nice idea mate. After seeing the build up of your P-47 & B-25 it'll be great and she'll be proud.

John

B

Bunkerbarge

Andy I can't think of anything more positive to come from such a loss than to build something in her memory. I'm sure the model will be stunning and a beautiful living memory to your Mum that will generate conversation and comment for years to come.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry to here about your mum Andy,I know what a difficult time this is. I can only echo what the others have said,the SE5 will make a tremendous tribute and memorial to her.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Thank you all for your kind words, you are all good friends and i am proud to be a part of your world. Im sure that this project will be a tribute that she would be proud of. Here are a couple of pics to kick of this tribute to a great a wonderful mother.

View attachment 26784View attachment 26785

I also purchased this building base many months ago and will now get the chance to use it.

View attachment 26786

Thank you all once again for your kind and wonderful thoughts and wishes.

Andy

View attachment 32691

View attachment 32692

View attachment 32693

The Kit.jpg

The Kit 2.jpg

Building Board.jpg

S

Sky Raider

The construction of this project is now on its way. The plans suggest we start with the construction of the Ailerons. As you can see the quality of this kit from DB is second to none, everything fits perfect and is clearly numberd. The instructions state clearly that this model has to be glued together using PVA glue and not Cyno. Not knowing the reason for this i asked them and they told me it is because an open frame plane flexes more than a normal one and therefore must have some flexability at the joints to avoid fracture. They now have amended their instructions to state this clearly.

Using the PVA will slow the process down a little but i went to the model shop and brought some speed bond PVA ( 5 min ). I will run around all of the joints with an extra seem as i complete each section just to be on the safe side.

View attachment 26919View attachment 26920View attachment 26921View attachment 26922View attachment 26923View attachment 26924

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 32798

View attachment 32799

View attachment 32800

View attachment 32801

View attachment 32802

View attachment 32803

Ailerons.jpg

Ailerons (1).jpg

Ailerons (2).jpg

Ailerons (3).jpg

Ailerons (4).jpg

Ailerons (5).jpg

D

dm73

Hey Andy, sorry to hear of your loss, looking forward to seeing another master class in plane building.

Regards

Darren

S

Sky Raider

Thank you Darren for your kind words. This project will be my best ever creation the Old Dutch would be proud of it im sure.

Thanks Andy

T

treyzx10r

Andy off to a great start,can You still use cyno to 'tack' the parts in place ? pva is good stuff but like you said slow.

F

Fenlander

Sorry to hear of your loss Andy, I am sure you mother was very proud of what you achieved with your skilled craftsmanship. I just know that this tribute will hold her spirit and your love for her. Go to it man, let's see it come to fruition.

C

CDW

I think this is a most fitting tribute to your mother who was obviously a marvelous woman, my condolences for your loss.

Look forward to seeing the plane progress ....

1/4 scale ... wow!!! impressive !!!

C

Caledonia

Hi Andy, very sorry to hear about your loss. Thats a nice idea you have, look forward to seeing your usual superb build. Cheers Derek

S

Sky Raider

Thank you all, your words i hold dearly and appreciate them a great deal. Times are hard but im sure they will get better. Building this tribute is real theropy for me. I like the idea Trey of a quick drop of ZAP, ill give it a go. Hope to have some more pics for you soon, maybe later tonight.

Thank you all again for your kind words of support.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Tonights work guys, still the Ailerons, this is the part i dont like when building, shaping the leading edges for movement, it just takes ages but its done now and there are no more to do because there are no flaps.

You can see the section drawing on the plan. so the angles are easy to get right.

View attachment 26926View attachment 26927View attachment 26928View attachment 26929

This is the aileron layed out in position, gives you some idea of the scale.

View attachment 26930View attachment 26931

And here are the finished items with rounded TE's and horns fitted. Just letting the extra PVA seems dry off.

View attachment 26932

Next instalment will be the construction of the 4 wing sections.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 32805

View attachment 32806

View attachment 32807

View attachment 32808

View attachment 32809

View attachment 32810

View attachment 32811

Aileron complete (4).jpg

Aileron complete.jpg

Aileron complete (1).jpg

Aileron complete (3).jpg

Aileron complete (6).jpg

Aileron complete (7).jpg

Aileron complete (8).jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks as if this goes together quite well, and quickly!

Out of interest, how much would such a kit cost these days, just the kit. Also what do you get in the box? I must admit I could be tempted. The only problem is that RC aircraft are quite restricted in Denmark. Over a certain weight and you need all kinds of certificates and insurance. ( ok insurance is most likely a good idea).

Those Ailerons are huge. Whats her wingspan?

Ian M