1/4 Scale SE5a ( The Old Dutch )

S

Sky Raider

Well guys, here we are at another milestone. Both bottom wings are complete and have servos in place.

View attachment 51772View attachment 51773View attachment 51774View attachment 51775View attachment 51776View attachment 51777

And now onto the final 4 pieces of the build, the 4 wing struts. These come flat edged and have to be sanded to get a leading edge and a trailing edge. There are some litho bits to be made and one of the front struts has a twin Peto Tubes fitted to it, A coat of stain and some flat black paint required.

View attachment 51778View attachment 51779View attachment 51780View attachment 51781View attachment 51782View attachment 51783View attachment 51784View attachment 51785

We are almost out of the tunnel now, the light is getting forever brighter and i can feel that cold Autumn wind blowing on my face.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 54344

View attachment 54345

View attachment 54346

View attachment 54347

View attachment 54348

View attachment 54349

View attachment 54350

View attachment 54351

View attachment 54352

View attachment 54353

View attachment 54354

View attachment 54355

View attachment 54356

View attachment 54357

Lower wing comp (1).jpg

Lower wing comp (2).jpg

Lower wing comp (3).jpg

Lower wing comp (4).jpg

Lower wing comp.jpg

Lwr wing comp.jpg

Raw struts (1).jpg

Raw struts (2).jpg

Raw struts (3).jpg

Struts LE TE (1).jpg

Struts LE TE (2).jpg

Struts LE TE (3).jpg

Struts LE TE (4).jpg

Struts LE TE (5).jpg

T

treyzx10r

Andy its great to see this coming to the final lap before the checkered flag as it were, however, I'm kind of sad that it has to end its been such a treat seeing this come together and sharing such a touching tribute. Cheers Trey

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey. It has been a long journey but one build that i will remember for ever... every step of the way. Something that i will treasure for the remainder of my life. Built with all the love and affection that i could muster.

Thanks for your kind words through this project and for your support along with everyone else who took this journey with me. All of the support and kind words from everyone has helped to make this build just that little bit more special.

Thanks everyone.

Andy

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Andy this as been a long journey for you. and one i beleave you had to take. Such a special tribute to no doubt a special lady, and its one journey you set off on your own ,but picked up so many friends along the way, and i'm glad ( could i say honoured ) to have been a part of it. All the best my friend.

B

Buttonman

them little toothpicks souldnt bother you non buddy

Not long now andy ,can't wait

Martin

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy this as been a long journey for you. and one i beleave you had to take. Such a special tribute to no doubt a special lady, and its one journey you set off on your own ,but picked up so many friends along the way, and i'm glad ( could i say honoured ) to have been a part of it. All the best my friend.
Thanks Papa. Your post was so true and well put. I cant help admitting that it has brought a tear to my eyes. Thank you once again. You are a true friend indeed.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
them little toothpicks souldnt bother you non buddyNot long now andy ,can't wait

Martin
Should be plain sailing from here on in Martin. Ill keep everyone posted on the final peices of the jigsaw.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well this was another slow process. No less than 10 coats of stain to get these struts where i wanted them. Below is the before and after. First is plain then 5 coats and finaly 10 coats.

View attachment 51994View attachment 51995View attachment 51996View attachment 51997

Now onto the metal work that surrounds the struts top and bottom, i added the pic to show you, you can also see in the pic the 2 tubes that run down to the peto tubles. These are on 1 strut only.

View attachment 51998View attachment 51999

More work to be done on these as you can see.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 54555

View attachment 54556

View attachment 54557

View attachment 54558

View attachment 54559

View attachment 54560

Struts plain.jpg

Struts 5 coats.jpg

Struts 10 coats (1).jpg

Struts 10 coats (2).jpg

Strut Metal work.jpg

Strut Metal Work 1.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, to quote the British papers after the WW2 Dunkirk (or Dunkerque) evacuation.....

Bloody Marvelous!

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Cheers Ron. When we spoke at Cosford about time scales to complete... i wasnt far out, unlike my pal Alex who was out by months lol

Cheers again

Andy

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Its gonna be sorta sad when "The Old Dutch" is finished. Though a beautiful tribute to a well loved lady, I'll miss following your thread. Its been on here longer than I have and feels like part of my scale modelling life.

Carry on Sir, and make the Duchess proud.

Tony.

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Tony. It has been a long time and i can understand what you mean. Dont worry too much there are some lengthy builds ahead of me and ill be starting one of them just after this one has been complete. I hope that i can impress you all just as much with the next project though i like to think that i put that bit more effort into this one than i am normaly capeable of due to nature of the build.

Thanks

Andy

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking good andy you've got the patients of a saint buddy love the colour off the staining and I've also noticed a have for sail in beacon road that's a the end of my street west midland boys come on!!!

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Looking good andy you've got the patients of a saint buddy love the colour off the staining and I've also noticed a have for sail in beacon road that's a the end of my street west midland boys come on!!!
Lol. Thats very observant of you finding that mate. Im not far from you, im in Bloxwich. Have you been into Mikes models yet and seen his new stock just in?

Cheers

Andy

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
\ said:
Lol. Thats very observant of you finding that mate. Im not far from you, im in Bloxwich. Have you been into Mikes models yet and seen his new stock just in?Cheers

Andy
No buddy I don't drive I read the maps while the misses drives getting round to getting the enemy there does he stock much 1/35 kits there bud..???

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
No buddy I don't drive I read the maps while the misses drives getting round to getting the enemy there does he stock much 1/35 kits there bud..???
Not sure, he was stacked out with boxes the other day when i went in. Couldnt move in there. He's only round the corner from you. Tell Him Andy sent you, he will know who you mean and sort you some good deals.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well guys we are nearly there. I have completed the wing struts complete with Peto Tubes as you can see below.

View attachment 52465View attachment 52466

And here we have the wings fitted and the start of the rigging. Unfortunatly, there are some more parts missing that is stoping me completing the rigging. I need to get some more ferrals and crimps. Should try to get these asap. once complete we have the aileron linkages to do and the Old Dutch is complete.

View attachment 52467

View attachment 52476View attachment 52475View attachment 52474View attachment 52473View attachment 52472View attachment 52471View attachment 52470View attachment 52469View attachment 52468Cheers

Andy

View attachment 55009

View attachment 55010

View attachment 55011

View attachment 55012

View attachment 55013

View attachment 55014

View attachment 55015

View attachment 55016

View attachment 55017

View attachment 55018

View attachment 55019

View attachment 55020

Wing struts Comp (1).jpg

Wing struts Comp (2).jpg

Almost Done (1).jpg

Almost Done (2).jpg

Almost Done (3).jpg

Almost Done (4).jpg

Almost Done (5).jpg

Almost Done (6).jpg

Almost Done (7).jpg

Almost done 1 (1).jpg

Almost done 1 (2).jpg

Almost done 1 (3).jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I'm speechless. And that don't happen often!

Looking mighty fine.

Ian M

B

Buttonman

She's lookin really spot on buddy.

One question how you getting it outside Andy???

Martin