1:48 T45 Goshawk/Bae Hawk

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Well, I am beginning to like these new hours I am working...(3 days on, 4 days off then 4 days on, 3 days off). Its giving me abit of time to get back into building and of course like most of us, I am wayyyyyy behind in construction of kits.

Anyway, a while back, I purchased Premieres 1:48 scale model of the Bae Hawk and knew I had seen this aircraft before in US markings. So I began looking to find out what the US version was called.

Of course it was called the T45 Goshawk and was purchased by the US Navy as a Light fighter/trainer.

Anyway, with a little red and white paint, some "loose" decals and some "artistic License", I converted the Bae Hawk kit into the T 45 Goshawk seen below:

If you get a chance to purchase this kit, go for it, its a great little model that goes together well.

Have a good day.

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looks the part Greg,another nice model for your ever increasing collection.

B

Bunkerbarge

The shots on the drive add a whole new dimension to the model Greg and makes it all the more realistic.

Interesting subject and as always nicely finished.

B

Bluewavestudios

Nice Work there Greg,

You have certainly done that one justice, A very nice looking Model.

Regards......Mark

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I know its not really noticable to most people, but there are irregularities in the decals. The only "roundels" (Stars and Bars) that I had were Large ones and I decorated it from my memory of photos of the T45 (I should have googled it lol) But the "Stars and bars" on the sides of the plane should be at the front, not in the back. (See example below)

t45.jpg

anyway, thanks again for the kind words.

Have a good day,

Greg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Greg,

Having done a Google myself, I see what you mean about the markings...having said that I think I prefer the way you have done them, I am not really that well up on the layout of US Markings, somehow yours looks more natural than the ones in the real Pics.

Given that a lot of squadrons change their markings around from time to time, they may even end up looking like yours !!!

Regards.....Mark.

B

Bunkerbarge

Howdy Guys' date=' [/i']I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I know its not really noticable to most people, but there are irregularities in the decals. The only "roundels" (Stars and Bars) that I had were Large ones and I decorated it from my memory of photos of the T45 (I should have googled it lol) But the "Stars and bars" on the sides of the plane should be at the front, not in the back. (See example below)

t45.jpg

anyway, thanks again for the kind words.

Have a good day,

Greg
To be honest greg, I am a great believer in making models for yourself and not for anyone else. If you want to paint it pink and are happy with it who is to say it hasn't achieved what it was made for and that is to give you pleasure.

If you hadn't have told me I would have never known and I still like the look of it. I think sometimes people get a bit too wrapped up in the striving at all costs for absolute technical accuracy and maybe sometimes they can loose sight of the fact that you are doing it for a bit of fun.

There are people of course who enjoy the research to the ultimate degree which is fine as long as they accept every one elses models for what they are.

L

Lips McGee

Not bad, my man, you definitely caught a great likeness of the Yankhawk. I'm flying this type currently and was curious if I could get any feedback on the Premiere and Airfix 1/48 Hawk kits - what are the major trouble areas, what were the best parts of the kits, etc.

Inevitably I think I am going to have to do some major modifications to get it right, but I'd like to get my research straight before I pick which kit to base the conversion off of.

Thanks gents.. and ladies (come on.. I know you're out there somewhere)

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Mike,

Sorry for getting back to you on this so late. Apparently i didnt get an email informing me of a new post to this thread, i just happened to be looking thru my postings in the "pictures" section of aircraft models and came across your posting.

Anyway, from what i remember of the assembly of this model, it was a dream, everything went together great. You will have to add abit of weight to the nose to keep it from dragging its tail, but other than that, you couldnt ask for a kit that goes together any better than this one did.

I would suggest using google images or your own photos for help in decorating it.

Have a good day and a happy new year,

Greg

L

Lips McGee

Thanks for getting back to me, Greg.

I have purchased both kits and plan on doing a bit of a kit bash. The cockpits are both somewhat Spartan for my liking, so I also plan on doing a lot of scratchbuilding.

I will say I think the kits are otherwise very decent. Initial dry-fits are very encouraging.

Thanks for the well wishes, happy new year to yourself!

M

midnX

G Dub,

Nice T-45. I'd like to build one myself but cant find the kit. I would have to go with the BAE Hawk and cannibalize a legacy Hornet for the nose gear and tailhook. I think that the parts on both A/C are pretty similar. It is a relief to build such a colorful model, the bright white and orange/red is a welcome change from the usual flat grays.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy MidnX,

First allow me to welcome you to the forum, we're glad you are here :smiling3:

Secondly, thanks for the kind words, its much appreciated. This particular model was originally just a Bae Hawk....I just got a wild hair and decided that since I had always liked the color scheme of the T-45, I would see if I could create a reasonable facsimile. well, I was happy with the results.

As for a kit of the T-45, you might try doing an ebay search for one.

Again, welcome to the forum, have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

73north

great model

has the recession brought down prices

at your end of the Atlantic ?

ever looked at the new stuff coming out of Eduard of Czech Republic ?

I think the New FW 190 A8 is a superb model kit -

and i reckon the

New FW 190D Long Nose coming out at the start of next year should also be superb -

keep up the great work

regards

David

Last edited:
G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy David,

Sadly, no, the prices have risen if anything. However, I havent had alot of time to do any building lately....and I sure am missing it.

But the prices wont affect me much anyway, I have a "backlog" of models in my closets and even stacks of them sitting in my bedroom floor that are awaiting construction. (I am looking at a stack of about 50 as I write this reply, and thats just the ones in the floor).

So even if they quit manufacturing models today, it would still be awhile before I completed the ones I have.

I wanted to thank you for the kind words on the T-45 and reitterate that if you have a chance to get the Bae hawk in 1/48th scale, its a really nice model in my opinion.

I havent really looked at the models by eduard recently, heck when I do make it to the hobby shop these days its usually to take my twin nephews for something they want.

anyway, thanks again for the kind words and have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

73north

Dear Greg

The comments are heart-felt

you are a true southern gentleman ...........

ever built the P-51D Mustang ?

what is your favourite WW2 Fighter ?

best wishes

David

J

James Q

great looking kit, love the way you've used what's laying around decal wise