1/48 Tamiya Mig-15bis

P

phikoleoputra

Hello again good people,

Next in the production line is this Cold War era jet. I'm encouraging myself to do Natural Metal Finish. Got the resin ejection seat also Eduard interior and decals for few countries flew this historic jet. 

Anyone can help me if the whole fuselage is chrome silver? Or any other color or some part alumunium and some part silver? Any help would be greatly helpful. Wish me luck!!!

Leo

64873BD8-03E8-49C7-92F5-88BA5F46F94A.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work on the cockpit Leo, the after market stuff has made a difference as you said.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great so far Leo , as for the nat metal finish , they were pretty much like the box art . They were overall bare aluminium with a few access panels and other areas in a different shade. The control surfaces and nose ring were usually slightly different too , dont take much notice of any preserved  museum pieces - theyve usually been painted silver , cheers tony

P

phikoleoputra

Looks great so far Leo , as for the nat metal finish , they were pretty much like the box art . They were overall bare aluminium with a few access panels and other areas in a different shade. The control surfaces and nose ring were usually slightly different too , dont take much notice of any preserved  museum pieces - theyve usually been painted silver , cheers tony

Bare alumunium means it will be matte finish right Tony? I'm gonna make this one as Chinese PLAAF.

And what other color should I use for the other shade? Silver?

IMG_0998.PNG

P

phikoleoputra

Hello folks,

Update from the bench:

After few weeks struggling with filling and sanding, I'm not saying this kit is bad just want to make it as smooth as possible and flawless so I could get best NMF finish. 

Black gloss is on and first time using Alclad product and must say that it is a great paint.

I'm still struggling to choose what paint should I use and what particular color should I use. Any suggestions?

F515D2C8-6D29-476B-AEAC-13B619204C04.JPG

CD2D1878-74D6-492E-A569-32842374C74C.JPG

29536900-5C03-44AB-A345-E7AC4CE1DECF.JPG

0F2868E5-1BF3-49B1-8849-46DF9879817E.JPG

6B6ECA50-B64E-4D36-9A1D-C663ED2FD3D1.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I sprayed a 1:72 Lightning in gloss black before using Alclad. I liked the look of it so much in gloss black I nearly stopped there !

I'm guessing your pictures are out of order, you primered first then applied the gloss black didn't you ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
When I did my MiG 15 UTI Leo ,I used vallejo model air metallics but since then ive found Valejo metal color to be better. If you found the alclad ok to use (im assuming its the cellulose based one) then you could use their top colours too. The airframe should be a light aluminium colour with selected parts in steel colour (airbrakes , round jet pipe , access panels ) the nose ring and section behind the cockpit  was sometimes a brighter more polished steel , and the blast shield in front of the guns a dark gunmetal colour . The Tamiya box art is a very good reference for differently shaded panels , hope this helps cheers tony

P

phikoleoputra

I sprayed a 1:72 Lightning in gloss black before using Alclad. I liked the look of it so much in gloss black I nearly stopped there !

I'm guessing your pictures are out of order, you primered first then applied the gloss black didn't you ?

Yes Colin, now it's on black gloss lol. Ready for NMF color. Sory for the order of the pics  9_9

P

phikoleoputra

When I did my MiG 15 UTI Leo ,I used vallejo model air metallics but since then ive found Valejo metal color to be better. If you found the alclad ok to use (im assuming its the cellulose based one) then you could use their top colours too. The airframe should be a light aluminium colour with selected parts in steel colour (airbrakes , round jet pipe , access panels ) the nose ring and section behind the cockpit  was sometimes a brighter more polished steel , and the blast shield in front of the guns a dark gunmetal colour . The Tamiya box art is a very good reference for differently shaded panels , hope this helps cheers tony

Thanks for the tips Tony will definitely help me here.  :smiling3:

P

phikoleoputra

Hi,

Update from the bench, it's been a while since I last posted my progress. I managed to paint the tail section Italian Red but I forgot to take pics. Then I painted the rest ith Mr. Hobby Alumunium.

what do you think guys? I need feedback, hope I got the color right.

Thanks

4B0ED96D-3D24-41D4-83B0-F6618A53EC5F.JPG

FBFFEB69-3F61-4CBE-BC20-D6371C6CEF2C.JPG