1/48 VF-1J/A Valkyrie Vermilion Squadron - Hasegawa

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, I'm back with another build! :D
This time it has wings and it is from one of my favourite animated sci-fi series, Robotech or also known as the Macross Saga/Series. These fighter jets transform in pilot controlled battle droids:eek::cool: - what more can you ask for?
Unfortunately this kit is only of the fighter jet variant, but its a mega cool kit in its own right. I purchased some extra PE bits for more detail. I think I'll have it on modern carrier deck base to simulate it taking off from the SDF-1 out in space....or something like thato_O

I have a 1/72 scale variant in the battle droid configuration, but this is for a later date and a mega 1/48 Super Strike Valkyrie, which too is for a later date.;)

I'll update later on with sprue pics and images of the box art.:smiling3:

Till later,

G~)

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
As promised, here are pics of the kit's box art and contents.:D

Let the fun begin!!:p:cool:
DSCN1583.JPG DSCN1584.JPG DSCN1585.JPG

Thanks for watching!!;)

P

Polux

What a pearl!!!!
I'm really interested to see what you do with it :smiling3:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
This is becoming a little nerve wracking as I haven't built a plane kit in 30yrs and not at the same level of detail!!:confused::confused::eek::eek:

Anyway, forwards and onwards we go!!:D

Started building and prepping and doing a bit of PE - Damn its small!:eek:
The HUD bracket is impressive, but as I said it is small, as well as the bracket on the air brake.
AB BRKT & MESH.JPG HUD BRKT.JPG

Started piecing other bits together, from the cockpit, upper fuselage with PE antenna and gun pod.
WIP 1.JPG
WIP 2.JPG
I have decided on doing the J variant, rather than the A version. Thanks to Scale Models for the Mr Color paints that I had ordered. I have never painted with this brand of paint before, so it will be interesting.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Aaaahhh, summer draws nearer, the garage warms up, so work begins again.....

This is turning out to be quite a modular build which is interesting in its own way.

The cockpit is nearing completion:
cockpit shell.jpeg
cocpit innards.jpeg cockpit dry fit.jpeg

The cockpit isn't looking too bacd in the dry fit.

Also did a bit PE work and painting on the turbine intake & exhausts.
Turbines .jpeg

On wards and upwards (progressive resistance):smiling3:

M

MrGotty

Looking good mate, i may have to check this tv show out :smiling3: keep up the good work.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Thanks for the positive support!!

Here is some more bits and bobs...

WIP-6s.jpg WIP-8.JPG WIP-5.JPG WIP-3.JPG WIP-4.JPG

Well come got some base coat on and started spraying up other bits, so it's slowly coming together. I'm going to try my hand at pre-shading and other shading techniques - so lets hope I don't mess it up.:confused:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
This pre-shading malarkey is scaring me, but I am moving forward. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!:confused::eek::confused::eek:
Pre-shade 1.JPG Pre-shade 2.JPG

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Looking good mate, what does this shading malarkey do anyway?
Hi Scott, I've seen the results and I'm sold!! It does away with a single tone finish with pin washing and a bit of weathering - it literally brings the kite to life. I've been watching a video on youtube video 15 onwards , this guy (he is incredible) shows pre-shading, bleaching, post shading, pin washing etc on a 1/48 F-14 Tomcat.

M

MrGotty

Hi Scott, I've seen the results and I'm sold!! It does away with a single tone finish with pin washing and a bit of weathering - it literally brings the kite to life. I've been watching a video on youtube video 15 onwards , this guy (he is incredible) shows pre-shading, bleaching, post shading, pin washing etc on a 1/48 F-14 Tomcat.

Sweet, thanks bud hes awesome I am following them on youtube now lol

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well the paint is going on - pre shading + bleaching + post shading. I must say I do like this Mr. Color paint. Its a bit of drawn out process, but i think its paying divident.

Have a look and tell me what you think - personally I think it is a huge step up from a uniform finish.

PS+B+PS 1.jpeg PS+B+PS 2.jpeg PS+B+PS 3.jpeg PS+B+PS 4.jpeg
Thanks for looking!!

Gavin