1:48th Scale Albatros D.Va by Eduard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Ok, last week I posed a question about the "lozenge camo" on German WWI Biplanes. Fortunately for me, this wasnt a real issue when building this model....it came with them lol.

However.......painting wood and wood grain (on plastic) isnt as easy as you would think it would be....and this aircraft was mostly wood.

But, I think I did a fair job of getting both done even though the "grain" may be abit hard to see in the photos below. Anyway, below are the photos of my completed model of Eduard's Albatros D.Va "Jasta 5":

Have a good day,

Greg

M

maxidad66

Well I think you did a fabulous job on that wood grain. The model looks just great. Did you attempt the rigging? I can't quite see from the pics.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Gregg in your usual way you have pulled the woodgrain and lozenge camo off very well,the model looks fine.

Is the lozenge a commercial decal type ? and if so any tips on how it was applied,ie around the curves and wingtips ?

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Dad, Barry,

I have not as of yet done the rigging, with the hours and days I work, usually it takes most of a day to complete the model, and then a couple hours for the rigging. With my "backlog" of models, I sometimes work on two or more at a time. If I "break out" my airbrush, I usually find as many models that require the colors I will be using, and paint them all........to be completed later. This method cuts down on the mixing of colors and gives me models that are already started when I do get around to building them.

As for the lozenge camo, they came with the kit on 4 sheets (decals for 5 aircraft). I had no trouble using them, they were well cut and fit perfectly on the plane.

Like I said, the woodgrain was something different though, mixing the colors to get it "close" to what it should look like and then going back and painting in the grain....I used a brush that I had modified with a razorblade by cutting all but maybe three(3) hairs off of it.

Anyway, I wanted to thank ya'll for the kind words, I am on my way to Little Rock, to the hobby shop again today....I am considering paying $70 for a Fairey Swordfish in 1:48th scale, but I wont know whether I will buy it or not until I get there...I will let ya'll know if I do.

Have a good day,

Greg

Oh, I am going to try to do the rigging on the albatros later this evening.