1/6 Spitfire Mk9 SAAF Malta 1943

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Theuns
This just gets more and more impressive. I am sure many will make offers to buy.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Impressive modeling Theuns, beautiful work.
John.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Great thread to follow, looks better every time :thumb2:

T

T. van Vuuren

I was battling with the top mattcoat but after some work I got an acceptable level of shine. Maybe a little to gloss still but I will stick to that. Also got the basic cockpit bulkheads in and painted....good old humbrol 78 and 11 used ;)

The rear canopy is in and as soon as I get the pilot figure I can complete the cockpit.

TheunsIMG_20181027_095925.jpgIMG_20181027_100057.jpgIMG_20181027_145752.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
if a british engine doesnt leak soot and oil, it just means that the oil is finnished
icon_wink.gif
Heh :smiling3: There are two really good photos in De Leopard 1: Gepantserde Vuist van de Koninklijke Landmacht that show one of the reasons the Dutch army chose the German Leopard over the British Chieftain as its next MBT in the late 1960s: after several thousand kilometers driving each of them, they pulled the engines. The photo of the Leopard’s engine bay shows a bit of dirt on the floor, that of the Chieftain is basically black all over.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I love this plane Theuns.
Impressive build :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely build Theuns and what a scale.

Cheers,
Richard

T

T. van Vuuren

Ta.

I did the weight and ballance today and was absolutely shockd to see I need 1.1kg ballast in the nose .....very dissapointing as I went pout of my way to keep the tail light but allas not good enough it seems.

Anyway it will still work but it is 3 lbs heavier than I hoped for lets hope the engine is strong enough....

I need cockpit detail but will do that after testing in a week or so after I fit the spinner and canopy

TheunsIMG_20181111_085547.jpgIMG_20181111_085558.jpg

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks awesome Theuns,
Sorry to hear about the extra weight, might be harder to land or fly small corners...
Can you mount weight inside the spinner to save a bit of extra weight or isn't this possible?

She looks very sweet :thumb2:
Kind regards,
Steven

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Weight inside the spinner would require the engine to turn that. I don’t know much about flyable model aircraft, but I suspect it’s not a good idea to use engine power for that, or to have a flywheel on the propeller.

T

T. van Vuuren

No ballast can not be mounted in a spinner, it needs to be securely mounted as far forward as I can so it will sit above the enine inside the cowl just behind the spinner backplate.

There was a homebuilt plane here in SA some years ago that the builder put led in the spinner, it came loose and it resulted in the death of builder and test pilot when the whole engine ripped out.

I am sure it will fly OK but after 35 years of modling rc I have become pedantic WRT weight. But then I would rather be 3 Lb heavier than a few Oz tail heavy, especially on a spit.

Theuns