1/72? 1/48? or bigger?

J

jazzkat

I have been thinking about buying a larger kit 1/48 or even 1/32 scale.

I currently am into 1/72 and I was thinking what makes choose the scale?

I like 1/72 because they are relatively small (although my 1/72 Lanc is hardly small!) and have some good detail considering their size.

So the question is why do you go for bigger scales?

S

Saul Sheldon

Hi Jazzcat

Like you, i have mainly 1/72 due to size considerations really although I suppose it is the traditional scale for aircraft kits

I do like 1/48 for the smaller size planes, things like ww2 fighters or jets like Meteor, Mig 17, nothing bigger than a Mig-21MF that i have. You can get a really detailed cockpit on view, especially if you open up the canopy. Also for the 1/48 ww2 fighters, there are some great kits that come with engine details to show off, such as the Eduard Fw-190s. The Weekend editions are very cheap and include a full BMW 801 engine as standard. Also there is an Aires detail engine set for the hasegawa 1/48 Hellcats, which looks good - might get that as the big radial engines look great in 1/48 i think.

As for 1/32, never tried it but i know you can get the revell 1/32 He-162 with lots of lovely detail for a cheap price, and it does not take up too much space

Good luck and above all, have fun!

Saul

J

jazzkat

Thanks for the reply.

I was really interested in how much scale played in peoples choice of kit and what other things effects their choice of model.

Or do people just see it, like it, buy it, build it!

I do like the look of some of those 1/48 ww2 planes. esp mossy, bf109 and fw190.

My wife will definately ask where I am going to put them!

S

Saul Sheldon

Oh yes, my wife asks the same awkward questions!

"Where are you going to put them?" translation: "They are going in the attic!"

What can you do?!

B

Boycey99

At the moment i am in forces accomodation, and looking at two models on my desk that I have just realised cannot go ANYWHERE! Back to WW2 Russian bi-planes for now I think, but the C17 will have to go somewhere!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ask yourself these questions honestly ?

1/ Do you want to build up a collection of manageable sized models ?

2/ Do you really have space to store/display the larger ones ?

3/ Are you prepared to keep moving those 'big' models around from place to place and get them broken in the process ?

4/ Are you into lots of internal detail or happy with he shape of the subject ?

Every one of these questions has a bearing on what you decide to build,display,store in that order !

\ said:
I have been thinking about buying a larger kit 1/48 or even 1/32 scale.I currently am into 1/72 and I was thinking what makes choose the scale?

I like 1/72 because they are relatively small (although my 1/72 Lanc is hardly small!) and have some good detail considering their size.

So the question is why do you go for bigger scales?

M

madon37s

What makes me choose is simple, I love the look of a certain aicraft and decide i will have it in 1/72nd, 1/48th and 1/32nd. I have a Hawker Hurricane in all these scales though i havn't made the 1/32nd scale one yet. I also have the same scales built up of my all time favourite jet the Phantom. The 1/32nd scale will be very big!!!!!.

Oh and i am just finishing off my 1/24th scale Hawker Hurricane.

I am lucky though that i do have a shed to house my models and model railway in.

Kind regards

Paul