Afghanistan British Aircraft & Vehicles 1/48

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

When I wandered away I had half finished the components of this diorama which I presented
individually as builds & reveals.

Depicts near 100% the equipment used by Britain in the field operations.

More a pictorial containing a number of dioramas.

My favorite build was the Afghanistan house. Spending 50 years in architecture first building
I have designed with out client interference.

Laurie

eTkqjl.jpg MxrANa.jpg jUtlG4.jpg Ou3mMO.jpg lEp0ax.jpg 6J4XH2.jpg H2Jq3P.jpg bf2Pyy.jpg R936lj.jpg lA9ZkE.jpg e3jJJi.jpg FaZvOr.jpg WzM8cp.jpg eGyUP5.jpg paCaQf.jpg RqJQmv.jpg iZHjjD.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's impressive stuff Laurie - I like it a lot!

Can I just say I reckon your figures would look much better without their bases. A drop of CA would fix them directly to your dio base - or do you need to be able to move them?

D

Deleted member 5496

lot of work there, really nice

Thanks for looking in & your comments very much appreciated.

That's impressive stuff Laurie - I like it a lot! Can I just say I reckon your figures would look much better without their bases. A drop of CA would fix them directly to your dio base - or do you need to be able to move them?

Thanks Dave very much appreciated.

Agree the figures are difficult. In the phots i had been moving them around so they were not at there best.

Problem is the grass. Originally tried figures stuck to the grass but after a day or so they fell over or looked drunk.

What I have done is to put the base plate on. Using PVA stuck grass, in packet form, letting it over lap. Then the base
plate sticks ok to the grass mat. Then used fine git to sprinkle around the edge of base plate to camouflage. Finally
where it did not quite look right I have used mini tufts of grass, gorse or small stones (look like rocks) placed
surreptitiously around the base plate.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant Laurie. I remember seeing a few of the individual components being built, but this might be my first time seeing everything together. Very nice.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
when i used the figures i drilled a hole into a boot and up a leg and glued in a sewing pin......cut the head off.....and that made a support to push into the 'ground'

D

Deleted member 5496

when i used the figures i drilled a hole into a boot and up a leg and glued in a sewing pin......cut the head off.....and that made a support to push into the 'ground'
Hey that is a brilliant idea Paul. Will adopt.

BUT does the soldier not look a bit odd with out his head :flushed:

Laurie :tongue-out3:

D

Deleted member 5496

Brilliant Laurie. I remember seeing a few of the individual components being built, but this might be my first time seeing everything together. Very nice.
Thanks Colin very much appreciated. Yes there are 16 units plus 2 platoons.

I take my hat off to you Sir, brilliant display with the photo back ground. Very nice indeed .
Your reply very much appreciated John

Thanks men Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi Laurie A stunning result. A huge dio and a huge amount of work. Jim

Thanks Jim very nice of you to say so. Yes a lot of work. over 6 years.
Fortunately I manage to keep myself in check & not rush to get to the end.
After saying that I have found more & more slowly is quicker. Minimum
errors & satisfaction which makes model making a very happy place.

On a larger one now. Falklands both British & Argentinian 25% along the line.
Being difficult & a bit expensive tracking old kits down.

Laurie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very well executed Laurie. The placement of men and machines was very well thought out and flows very nicely with the back drop.
This is definitely one to be proud of and I'm looking forward to your next presentation. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 5496

Very well executed Laurie. The placement of men and machines was very well thought out and flows very nicely with the back drop.
This is definitely one to be proud of and I'm looking forward to your next presentation. Rick H.
Thanks Rick. Every now & then I have a look amazed I had the patience. Of course no one is allowed to leave our flat with out me boring
then with a viewing.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks much appreciated.

Great collection of builds Laurie. Must be quite a huge diorama. Cheers, Richard

On a shelf above my work top Richard. 2.3m (8feet) long 550mm (20") deep. Really needs twice
the space.

The one at the moment Falklands conflict is the same size & scale 1/48. but more units. Also has for
the larger in the real units but to be built 1/72. Think i will hang these down from the ceiling & the differences
in scale will not be that noticeable. No space for any Penguins or Sheep.

Thanks for looking in.

Laurie

Fun picture

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pouGpqPnj] [/URL]

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks much appreciated.

On a shelf above my work top Richard. 2.3m (8feet) long 550mm (20") deep. Really needs twice
the space.

The one at the moment Falklands conflict is the same size & scale 1/48. but more units. Also has for
the larger in the real units but to be built 1/72. Think i will hang these down from the ceiling & the differences
in scale will not be that noticeable. No space for any Penguins or Sheep.

Thanks for looking in.

Laurie

Fun picture

[URL=https:tongue-out3:/imageshack.com/i/pouGpqPnj] [/URL]

Laurie, that would be some build to see. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard