1/72 Regia Aeronautica finished projects

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, here's a couple of Italian types I've finally got around to completing - the RS Models Reggiane Re.2005 fighter and Azur Nardi Fn.305 Trainer

IMG_1352.JPGIMG_1350.JPGIMG_1353.JPGIMG_1354.JPGIMG_1355.JPGIMG_1357.JPG

The Re.2005 was part of the '5 Type' projects, with the MC.205V and G.55; Italian airframes to carry the DB.605 engine. Only a single squadron was ever equipped with these aircraft, and they were about the most effective in service of the three. I've depicted the prototype, MM.494, which actually was the first to fly wit Sq.362, hence it carries all the stencils. It was also very shiny, apart from the great exhaust streaks across the wings!. All the 'planes built were 'pre-production' examples, a Serie 0
The RS kit is very well engineered, very detailed, and has fantastic decals that are thin, opaque and easily manipulated. The wing cannon are separet pieces which pass into the wheel bays, but the ends broke off so i had to replace them with ally tube and rod, likewise the pitot. the worst part of the kit is the undercarriage legs, which you're supposed to go after the wheel bays are fitted into the wing, which does make painting easier, but they don't lock into the tiny holesd in the bay walls without forcing them, and breaking. The lower u/c dors also require a piece cutting off the inside to fit properly I compare them with modern Airfix which sometimes need as a little force to place parts, like the Hurri undercarriage, but have a large enough tolerance to go in place. I also added some brass wire for the brake cables

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The Nardi FN.305 is one of the many many many trainers the Regia Aeronautica used, they were also sold to France. The Azur kit goes together really well, as far as I remember, as it's the best part of ten years since I started. All I had left to do was add the vac canopy, which I'd already cut to mount open. Then I came to the completion a couple of days ago and part the canopy of it vanished off the work surface in font of me. It was found the later ten metres away in the hall, just after I'd got the Clearvax Italian canopies set out to do another
Ooh, reminds me, the Re.2005 canopy is a Cleavax piece too

IMG_1359.JPGIMG_1358.JPGIMG_1361.JPGIMG_1362.JPGIMG_1363.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well, here's a couple of Italian types I've finally got around to completing - the RS Models Reggiane Re.2005 fighter and Azur Nardi Fn.305 Trainer

View attachment 479914View attachment 479916View attachment 479917View attachment 479918View attachment 479919View attachment 479920

The Re.2005 was part of the '5 Type' projects, with the MC.205V and G.55; Italian airframes to carry the DB.605 engine. Only a single squadron was ever equipped with these aircraft, and they were about the most effective in service of the three. I've depicted the prototype, MM.494, which actually was the first to fly wit Sq.362, hence it carries all the stencils. It was also very shiny, apart from the great exhaust streaks across the wings!. All the 'planes built were 'pre-production' examples, a Serie 0
The RS kit is very well engineered, very detailed, and has fantastic decals that are thin, opaque and easily manipulated. The wing cannon are separet pieces which pass into the wheel bays, but the ends broke off so i had to replace them with ally tube and rod, likewise the pitot. the worst part of the kit is the undercarriage legs, which you're supposed to go after the wheel bays are fitted into the wing, which does make painting easier, but they don't lock into the tiny holesd in the bay walls without forcing them, and breaking. The lower u/c dors also require a piece cutting off the inside to fit properly I compare them with modern Airfix which sometimes need as a little force to place parts, like the Hurri undercarriage, but have a large enough tolerance to go in place. I also added some brass wire for the brake cables

The Nardi FN.305 is one of the many many many trainers the Regia Aeronautica used, they were also sold to France. The Azur kit goes together really well, as far as I remember, as it's the best part of ten years since I started. All I had left to do was add the vac canopy, which I'd already cut to mount open. Then I came to the completion a couple of days ago and part the canopy of it vanished off the work surface in font of me. It was found the later ten metres away in the hall, just after I'd got the Clearvax Italian canopies set out to do another
Ooh, reminds me, the Re.2005 canopy is a Cleavax piece too

View attachment 479932View attachment 479933View attachment 479934View attachment 479935View attachment 479936

Chris

Very nicely turned out indeed Chris and subjects I'm not sure I've ever seen done.

Apologies if you've said before but what fired your interest in Italian planes?

ATB.

Andrew

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Andrew, that's a really easy question about my interest in RA stuff
Like many of us, my early builds were kind of random. When Matchbox started I was buying and building every 'plane and armour they put out. Then I read a modelling article about collections to a theme, type or nation, and went, there's a thought. On my first visit to Tony James' (of Comet Miniatures) old underground stash house, I found a stack of Aurora 1/48 WWI biplanes, but they were too pricey
But also there was a stack of Supermodel kits, pretty much the complete range. So I bought most of them, 'cos they were pretty, and cheap. Soon after this, I started a two-year stint managing a model shop, so I was REALLY spoiled for choice, especially when Fujimi released their MiG-21 range, which I somehow managed not to buy. I think we got copies of Squadron Signals two-part RA books, which I now know have woeful innaccuracies to them, but that was me fatally hooked.
Then I fell out big time with the shop owner. But this was 1987!
So, I've been collecting, and some building, RA stuff ever since. I've got an almost complete set of the Bancarella Aeronautica softbacks, which unfortunately haven't done anything new in years, plus whatever else comes along. They also published three books on war prizes (the P38), German, and French aircraft flown by the Italians. There's an excuse to expand my stash with other types.
As if I needed a reason
I've also been to Vigna de Valle, the 'Italian Hendon', but I now can't access the pics I took on the memory card!

For variety, I also do RAF silver wings stuff - next up is either a Hawker Woodcock, or the Fairey Battle prototype. Or a silver SE5A. Or Soviet stuff in 1/144. I've a long standing goal to build as many MiG-21 variants as I can
Then there are the 1/700 pre-dreadnoughts...
And Blitzkrieg allied vehicles in 28mm...
And 1/32 'thirties sports cars...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Two very interesting and different models. Nice work. The RE 2005 has some very nice lines.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Two very nice models of subjects which I have never seen before.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
These are totally new to me Chris. What scale are they? Very nicely done, by the way. Thanks for posting up these shelf queens and all the background info. :thumb2:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
These are totally new to me Chris. What scale are they? Very nicely done, by the way. Thanks for posting up these shelf queens and all the background info. :thumb2:
Oopsie. There's a fundamental flaw in my posting. They're both 1/72. Should've put that in the header. I've tried not to stray into other scales with my RA stuff, except for a clutch of 1/32 fighters, most of which I recently eBayed

But there's an unstarted 1/32 Silver Wings Fiat CR.32 sitting on a box in my bedroom saying 'build me, build me...'

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes, they do cry out from time to time! ;)