1:72 Revell Tornado GR1 Gulf war

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Finished, and quite a quick job for me. The Revell kit is well known and many say is probably the best 1:72 Tornado available, it's the only one I've ever built and it certainly goes together very nicely. The desert scheme isn't an option in the box, but track down some decals and a bit of H250 and your away. Now then decals, these are supposed to show 'Mig Eater' but I believe 'Hi - Decal' got the shark mouth wrong ! But I wanted a shark mouth, so it had to go on anyway.

I decided to build this one in flight, just because the Tornado looks 'flipping brill' when flying, wings swept back.

I'm not one for dio's normally, but it wasn't too difficult to pop over to the Staffordshire desert and take a couple of pics of the model 'at home' in the desert !View attachment 28009View attachment 28006View attachment 28011

View attachment 28005View attachment 28007View attachment 28010View attachment 28012View attachment 28008

Now, a small break before Mr Airfix makes a delivery !

Regards

Colin M.....

View attachment 33768

View attachment 33769

View attachment 33770

View attachment 33771

View attachment 33772

View attachment 33773

View attachment 33774

View attachment 33775

7.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Underside1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi colin, brilliant result mate, looks fantastic speeding through the staffs desert !Excellent weathering too, very lifelike especially the trademark sooty marks up the fin from the reverse thrust buckets, 5 star build and pics , cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Hi Colin, brilliant job you have done there, well done.

Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent job Colin

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
1/72! Your 'aving a laugh! That is fantastic mate. I would be happy if I could get a 1/48 to look half as good as that. Very well done Colin!

P

pointblank0

Really impressive that. Your eyes must be like microscope lenses!

First Name
Mike
Beautiful work Colin, I really like the subtlety of the weathering and panel highlighting. Always good to see aircraft in flying configuration too (though where are the pilots?) :smiling3: Great stuff.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for having a look and the positive comments. Unfortunately the Staffordshire desert is now closed ready for parsnip seed planting.

I did think it might look a bit too low to the ground, but then I thought, well it is the RAF, of course it's low ! I would be very interested to know just how low some of the pilots actually went, off the record of course.

Mike, where are the pilots, fair question but there are non in the box ! I've used resin seats (which are very good, PE harness etc, made by Aires I think) and was going to have the plane on the ground, canopy raised etc. But whilst playing with the wings, maybe I should have said checking their operation, I decided to build it in flying mode, which just makes the Tornado look so different. And that was it, plans changed, gear up and off flying with no pilots !

Regards

Colin M........

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I did think it might look a bit too low to the ground, but then I thought, well it is the RAF, of course it's low ! I would be very interested to know just how low some of the pilots actually went, off the record of course.
One of my personal fave this video. I have the whole thing on VHS video somewhere. watch this clip from about 4 mins 40 secs and watch the shadow of the Tornado in the clip. Now that's low ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Allyne great clip. That really is low !! So it turns out my dio' is rather accurate..............

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Damn! thats a great clip allyne, only trouble is i really want one even more now!! Ive got my eye on one on e-bay though:winkingshades: cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

That is one helluva Tornado and in 1/72 too. Fabulous work I'm really impressed.

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Paul, but I think the result has an awful lot to do with Revell, their Tornado really is very good.

Regards

Colin M........

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've got a 1/48 Italeri kit in the stash with a GR1 resin conversion kit - if I get a result like yours I'll be really pleased.

gain well done mate - it may be a good kit but it requires finishing and yours is flawless.

Paul

M

Matty

Lovely model mate, great pictures too.

My old man was flying GR1As (the recce ones) during the first Gulf War, he reckons they were generally flying at 50-100ft......at night. Barmy!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Lovely model mate, great pictures too.My old man was flying GR1As (the recce ones) during the first Gulf War, he reckons they were generally flying at 50-100ft......at night. Barmy!
Thanks Philbo,

That's amazing Matty ! Great to hear actual accounts of serious flying ! Did you see the youtube video Allyne linked to ?

Regards

Colin M...........

D

David154

Thats lovely mmmm next project after the F4G maybe for me.

David

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks David,

Hobbycraft are selling the Revell 1:72 GR1 for £7.99 really cheap for a kit of this quality.

Regards

Colin M........