1/72 Rothmans Pitts S2A

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Here is the LS models kit of the Rothmans Pitts S2A aerobatic aircraft. Some might remember the team at airshows in the 70's and 80's , they were certainly always at finningley! The kit is a little gem but TINY! ,the actual aircraft being only 17 ft long with a 20ft span!! IT went together with no problems but had THE most difficult masking job ive ever done! The decals for the dark blue side stripes were unusable ,being too stiff,so all the dark blue on the kit had to be masked and painted ,a nightmare as everything has a blue border , and have you ever tried to hand paint three parallel stripes on a prop spinner thats 5mm long!!? It didnt turn out too bad from a distance , and i did the small amount of rigging with synthetic paintbrush bristles. Ive put it alongside my 1/72 il2 sturmovik for an idea of scale , it really is only about 3 inches long! Heres the pics, comments and criticisms welcome, cheers tony:plane:

View attachment 31120

View attachment 31121

View attachment 31122

View attachment 31123

View attachment 31124

View attachment 31125

View attachment 31126

View attachment 31127

View attachment 31128

View attachment 31129

View attachment 31130

P1080899 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080886 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080825 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080900 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080887 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080827 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080889 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080890 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080891 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080888 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080826 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

W

wanna_be_aviator

Tony that's a lovely little model. Great work on the masking must have been challenging in such a small kit. It came out great. I just love those tiny little models. What's the scale? 1/100?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a cracking little model that is Tony. With such a relatively small wing area, you would wonder how the real thing kept in the air, just brute force I guess.

Well done mate, I would think your eyes need some time out now after that painting exercise!

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers guys , glad you like it. Marcos , its 1/72 scale but because its such a small aircraft its quite a challenge!cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Until the picture with the coin (and the last two) there is no way I'd have known the scale or just how small the model is. It's some job you've done on that,very impressed.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Quite an amazing little model and way beyond my eyesight! It would look really good alongside something large in the same scale such as a Fortress or a Lancaster.

How you did that paint job I've no idea and as for the three stripes on the spinner I'm in awe!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's brilliant! But jeez Tony, you must have a masochistic streak a mile wide! Why do you keep torturing yourself with these miniatures? :lol

Just think what you could do with something a little bigger!

Gern

T

treyzx10r

Tony thats awesome! I know the Pitts is a small aircraft but that is tiny

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys. Dave, i would have thought twice if i had known that the decals were unusable and the masking was so complicated , I thought it was going to be a quick little build!!! I think i might have to do a 1/32 out of the stash and give the magnifier a rest! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
BLOODY NORA!

You must have eyes like a sewer rat after that! You would never guess it was so tiny just looking at it alone. Its almost a joke seeing it on the wing of the Sturmovic!

Very well done that man!

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I agree with Ian,you must have good eyesight to paint it so well.Amazing aircraft,it's only got a 180 to 200 horsepower lycoming but it can really move.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks guys. Dave, i would have thought twice if i had known that the decals were unusable and the masking was so complicated , I thought it was going to be a quick little build!!! I think i might have to do a 1/32 out of the stash and give the magnifier a rest! cheers tony
What ya got in the stash to treat us with then?

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
What ya got in the stash to treat us with then?Gern
Well dave, its a mixed bag but here goes-- All 1/32 of course.

Williams brothers gee bee R1 racer

" " gee bee Z racer

" " Seversky P35

" " Wedell Williams racer

21st century toys Ju87 Stuka

" " BF109G-14

Revell Lysander

" Sea Venom

Trumpeter Shenyang jj5

" MiG 15

The last two are going to be a cut'n'shut job to make a MiG 15 UM 2 seat trainer , Grafting cockpit sections from the jj5 onto the mig 15.

So which one do you think should come to the front of the queue!!? cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Er, if you chose to do the £1.99 Stuka from Cost Cutter and you want to know how it's done properly, go to my build of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Getting closer to Cosford mucker!

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Er, if you chose to do the £1.99 Stuka from Cost Cutter and you want to know how it's done properly, go to my build of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolGetting closer to Cosford mucker!

Cheers,

Ron
Too right mate, ive been staying off e-bay so i can spend it at cosford instead!! ive even made a list (not that ill stick to it!!)

C

Caledonia

The old sewer rat strikes again, that one deserves a 5 Star if only for determination, not to mention a superb paint and decal job. Well done Tony. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks derek ! cheers tony

F

fastcat

Hi Tony,

What a great little build! Sorry the decals didn't work for you but that seems to be a problem with a lot of older Japanese kits. Nice to see you weren't phased by it. Bet you're proud of that one. You should be!

Dave A.

S

sprayman

Just brilliant tony, what a great build on such a small scale, top marks.