1/72 Rothmans Pitts S2A

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers everyone! Dave, the decals were just too stiff to bend round the curves ,plus they had to soak for about 20 mins before you could prise them off the backing paper -seriously!!! Thanks for a wicked little kit though. Cheers tony

F

fastcat

Hi Tony,

Wish I'd known about the decals. I've got a spare sheet you could have had. Trouble is you can't try 'em out. It's a bit like striking matches................ To be honest you've done such a neat job I don't reckon you needed the decals anyway. May have preserved your eyesight for a bit longer though........................!

Best wishes

Dave

ps Nice to see some racers in your to-do list.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers dave, if you want to see a few racers theres a couple in my gallery, click on the link under my avatar, cheers tony

F

fastcat

There's a whole lot of nice stuff in there. The 109 looks great as a racer! And you've made a nice job of the Caudron.

I've got the Williams Caudron to do sometime, also their GeeBee Z and Wedell Williams. Also in the pending tray (all in 1/48) is a Karaya Short Crusader, a conversion project for the Roto-Finish P-51, a Wiener Modellbau Gloster VI and a Heritage Mew Gull which is in far more pieces than the original kit as I attempt to make it look a bit like the original. Trouble is , I've only got one lifetime......................

Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers dave, if you want a great colour match and easy ,smooth paint job for the caudron , i'd recommend the hycote acrylic aerosol (rover pageant blue) cheers tony

View attachment 31421

P1050102 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

C

Caledonia

\ said:
The old sewer rat strikes again, that one deserves a 5 Star if only for determination, not to mention a superb paint and decal job. Well done Tony. Cheers Derek
Hi Tony, apologies forgot to post the 5 Star. When are you doing another Ruskie? I am feeling the urge to do one, trying to resist the new Trumpeter 1/32 Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot A, not a pretty plane, but bet its fantastic to see. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers derek! I think im going to be a bit occupied with the SIG build for a few months but ive got a 1/72 tupolev tu 22m2 backfire that keeps calling me from the stash, so i think that might be the next russki, Only thing is its massive , so where its going to go when its done ,i dont know!! Have a butchers at this , just to whet the appetite , The mighty backfire being thrashed at low level by some crazy russian pilot!!

mental eh? cheers tony

Š

Španac

O God, that looks nice! Incredible precision made. Congratulations on your patience, model deserves praise.

Cheers!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thankyou ivica! , cheers tony

S

Snoopy7422

A nice model there. I flew G-BADW at Coventry after it's Rothmans days, when it was white with the detailing in green - not a nice scheme. It's been in storage for years, but is just coming off a rebuild I'm told, but I've no idea of the new scheme.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks snoopy, it would be great if it gets restored with the rothmans scheme, although with the current politically correct climate i doubt anyone would be able to due to the ciggie advertising bans,- shame! cheers tony. p.s. great to know you actually flew this very aircraft , you must be a very advanced pilot, do you still fly/display?

S

Snoopy7422

Tony;- Sadly, I can't really see anyone giving free advertising to Rothmans, and I'm not even sure if the limitations that apply to say F1 apply to aviation, but I guess if it's ones own kite, you can do what you like. I loath smoking, but I must say that I loath the 'Nanny State' even more...! I've missed the Rothmans Team, - they always seemed to have so much panache. They had some great guys fly for them too over the life of the team(s), some of whom are sadly no longer with us. One of the reasons that Pitts have fallen-out of favour is that their smallness, flying attitude and shape tend to mitigate against them in judging. Bright, plain colour-schemes tend to make them look a bit bigger. The Pitts are a still very popular with private owners just as a sports mount, even if they are no longer very competitive at top level aerobatics. They are very rugged though, and just keep getting rebuilt when they are tired, such is the demand. I still fly, but I'm only a humble PPL. I was going to do some basic competitions next season, but domestic pressures have intervened for now. I sold my S1 but went into immediate 'withdrawal symptoms', bordering on mourning. The Pitts may look a bit old-fashioned, but they are a barrel-load of fun and unbelievably addictive, in a strange masochistic way....!!!! I have my eyes on a very sweet one, but must keep away from temptation for now whilst I am over-comitted to other matters, and other projects, both domestic and aviation. I've been trying to get back into flying models too, but at the moment, I just can't find the hours in the day....!

Last edited:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi Tony me old mate, sorry it's been a while me post on this but what a cracking build. Love it, the only question i have is this 'are your eyes ok with it being that small?'. It ture though, good things do come in small packages. Big five from me.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers john, its nice to see this old thread resurface again , and a wicked touch in snoopy 7422 actually having flown the very aircraft modelled! cheers tony p.s. nice to see you back mate!