1/72 Special Hobby DH. 103 Sea Hornet F. Mk.20

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I got a great deal of satisfaction from this short run kit and it it benefited from a calmer, more considered build process as opposed a 'get it done' as quickly as possible approach, which is my usual technique!

The decals were superb. The starboard fuselage roundel broke in to two pieces, not sure why and can't blame brute force as I was being very gentle, however I don't think it's noticeable. Other than that, they have behaved very well and have adhered beautifully with only a single treatment from the micro twins.

I also feel that the experiment with the primer has been a success, coupled with a bit more patience while painting and applying a couple of coats of thinned paint to get the benefits.

I am particularly pleased with those nav lights too! I'll definitely be doing those again.

For me this was a must have 50's era Royal Navy fighter and I'm glad I did it and am over the moon with the result.

Here are some close ups:

Details.jpg

Some overalls:

Overalls.jpg

And taking advantage of this beautiful April day, some outside shots:

Outdoors.jpg

Thanks to all who commented on the build thread and I hope you like it too.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
That is a fine result and it certainly sounds as if you enjoyed it.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic result Chris, a super clean build from a tricky kit , and one of the finest piston engine fighters , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work Chris. But that landing gear, looks a bit flimsy for deck landings - I know it can't be, it just looks that way.