1/72 Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXe in Israeli service.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
On May 14th 1948 the State of Israel came into being. This fledgling country found itself surrounded by hostile neighbours. Israel was desperate to arm itself. In August 1948 Czechoslovakia sold 50 Spitfires to Israel. This sale was opposed by many countries including UK, USA and USSR. The planes were flown to Israel in Operation Velvetta. The flight included a stop off for refuelling in Yugoslavia. The planes were flown by Machal, volunteers from overseas. These Machal were almost exclusively WW2 ex-servicemen. In 1948/49 two thirds of the pilots in the IAF were Machal of many nationalities. These Spitfires and pilots took part in the 1948 Arab/Israeli conflict. By the early 1950s many of the planes were no longer serviceable, some that were were sold to Burma in 1954, and those that remained were painted in the new blue/brown camo. This model is "black 89" of the 105th Tayeset, one of the last IAF Spitfires.

This is the kit. Cheap and basic but not bad.
P1040330.JPG

It was built as light relief and also to test out MRP lacquer paints and my new spray booth. Both the paints and the booth were faultless :smiling:

P1070380.JPG
P1070381.JPG
P1070382.JPG
P1070383.JPG
P1070384.JPG
P1070385.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
While wasting time researching yesterday I came across THIS article about the fate of the Burmese Spitfires. It may be of interest to some of you. It has the feel of an Indiana Jones movie :tongue-out3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
While wasting time researching yesterday I came across THIS article about the fate of the Burmese Spitfires. It may be of interest to some of you. It has the feel of an Indiana Jones movie :tongue-out3:
Nice build Jim, love the colour scheme too! Interesting article as well.

As an aside, it was common practice to 'bury' stuff when pulling out of foreign bases. Whilst serving at HMS Simbang at Sembawang, Singapore in the early 70's. The UK withdrew from the far east. The carrier I returned to the UK on had not only two Naval Air Squadrons but a full Commando brigade and units of the Royal Artillery. Other carriers and warships brought back units that had been in Singapore prior to the take over by the ANZUK forces.
What I am getting to is. We, (my squadron), was allocated a part of the airfield to bury our excess aircraft parts, engines, gearboxes etc. The reason we were allocated an area was so that we didn't disturb kit from WW2 which had been previously left behind. Including actual aircraft.
Always thought of going back and maybe digging up some of the tool boxes and flogging them on EBay!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Mick, Andy and Doug - thanks for your kind comments.
Your experience Doug, is really interesting. It makes the story of the Burmese Spitfires possible.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very well done indeed Jim.

A great finish, in an unusual scheme!

Great work.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice finish Jim. I'm not sure I've come across an Israeli Spitfire before. I'm guessing you're finding your new MRP nice to work with. I changed to them a few years back, never a clogged AB since.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You can tell it's Israeli, the wings are missing their tips...
Pete :cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim , loved the history part, really enjoyable.

The Committee thought so as well and loved your build. and have awarded you

download THE DOGS.jpg
Congratulations.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job Jim. The IAF shot down some RAF Spitfires and Tempests as well as other Spitfires from Egypt. An interesting era.