1.72nd Zvezda U.S m4a2 Pacific theatre

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys.
Whilst waiting for sets of decals to arrive ive been tinkering with another mini Sherman.This time a Zvezda m4a2 Sherman.Although its boxed as a Russian version i thought id make the little devil as a U.S.M.C version during the pacific island hopping campaign.The kit goes together nicely on the whole.A few gimmicky areas as its supposed to be a snap fit kit.

The tracks in the kit are something that rhymes with dit.They are a weird plastic to be bent around the wheels.Sure yes and then they decide to break into loadsa bits.So im using some spares from a Heller kit.The track armour is from spares box and ive started to handpaint her in Vallejo and new Humbrol acrylics from eye drop typo bottles.Im hoping to make this one a mucky and sandy beasty.Just got to get some pigments and stuff to do this dastardly deed.

Cheers all from Richard

Attachments

• 20230414_152026.jpg
    20230414_152026.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230414_152011.jpg
    20230414_152011.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230414_152004.jpg
    20230414_152004.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 12

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That looks good Richard. A decent level of detail. Shame about the tracks but not a surprise really.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes the tracks are shockers.Wonder if the 1.35th ones are any better.
Of the Zvezda kit? Yes, they are — the tracks are its best feature, I would say, and in fact, almost worth buying it for if you want that type for another kit, given that the whole kit is only slightly more expensive than many separate track sets, and cheaper than many of them. The rest of the model varies between “pretty good” and “in dire need of replacement”, though …

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Of the Zvezda kit? Yes, they are — the tracks are its best feature, I would say, and in fact, almost worth buying it for if you want that type for another kit, given that the whole kit is only slightly more expensive than many separate track sets, and cheaper than many of them. The rest of the model varies between “pretty good” and “in dire need of replacement”, though …
Hi Jakko.
Thanks for dropping by.Yes the tracks look cool.Could be great for using on U.K Sherman 3s and U.S ones in Pacific etc.I saw a replacement turret on e.bay as i believe its a bit iffy.Im still catching up on here and noticed you did Walcheren Shermans.Ive just recieved some decals in 72nd and 35th for Cock of the North etc..I will have to look into doing one soon.
Good to hear from you.
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you read the thread I linked to, you can see everything I think needs to be done to the Zvezda Sherman to bring it up to scratch … TBH, if you intend to spend money on a replacement turret, you would probably do better to buy another M4A2 kit and pilfer the Zvezda one for its tracks and some other good parts it has …

As for Cock o’the North, I’ve got a thread about that on here too :smiling3: If you have any questions about the tank, feel free to ask.