1/96 USS Constitution Build

O

Oscarwray

Ok, so I am starting back to modeling after a long break for life and college. Figured I would dive right in with one I have wanted to build for a long time. The 1/96 USS Constitution will be 32" when completed and is by far the largest model I have ever attempted. So far, I have the hull together and 95% painted. I went ahead and put together all 500000000 cannons and the life boats. See pictures below. Thus far my major issue is paint. I do not have the funds for an airbrush so hand painting the stripes down the hull did not turn out as well as I would have liked (runs, clumps, too thick in some areas, too thin in others, etc). The copper bottom turned out pretty well from a rattle can but I learned my lesson about making sure the masking tape is secure and one side has some copper runners! I am working on the lower deck level now and hope to have it finished painted, installed and the cannons on it tomorrow. I do plan to rig the ship with the sails in place so if anyone has any pointers on that front, it would be appreciated!

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm afraid the pictures only seem to be thumbnails so it is quite difficult to see the model in any great detail. It is looking quite amazing so far but the biggest task with any ship model of this type is rigging. The trick there is to always work from the insides out so start with things like main braces.It's certainly quite a model to take on, god luck with it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It would appear you're not frightened by a challenge Oscar! That's really a dive into the deep end.

Tricky to see the details from the thumbnails but what I can see looks good.

Don't go for the Airfix Victory if you don't like repetitive work on cannons. That one has over 100 with 7 parts each - unless you want to add the ring bolts and rigging which doubles that! Which of course is why I sold mine. I lost the will to live doing just a couple of hundred individual track links on a Jagpanther; there's no way I'd be able to do that sort of job. Pity really 'cos it would have made a very nice display piece - one that even the missus would have liked in the lounge.

Welcome aboard and I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Gern

O

Oscarwray

Thanks for the replies! It is ambitious but I am teacher and have the next month and a half off still so I have lots of times. You know what they say about idle hands....Here are some more pics in a different size (I hope). I have painted and added the gun deck. I am working on adding the gun port covers in the open position. They each have a string (used to open and close the ports on tha real deal), all 32 of em, and has to be tied. I am finding it difficult to get the strings tied because they were they tie is under deck supports as well as being a right fit so I am reworking my method at the moment.

View attachment 31264View attachment 31270View attachment 31265View attachment 31266View attachment 31267View attachment 31268View attachment 31269

View attachment 36334

View attachment 36335

View attachment 36336

View attachment 36337

View attachment 36338

View attachment 36339

View attachment 36340

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

O

Oscarwray

\ said:
It would appear you're not frightened by a challenge Oscar! That's really a dive into the deep end.Tricky to see the details from the thumbnails but what I can see looks good.

Don't go for the Airfix Victory if you don't like repetitive work on cannons. That one has over 100 with 7 parts each - unless you want to add the ring bolts and rigging which doubles that! Which of course is why I sold mine. I lost the will to live doing just a couple of hundred individual track links on a Jagpanther; there's no way I'd be able to do that sort of job. Pity really 'cos it would have made a very nice display piece - one that even the missus would have liked in the lounge.

Welcome aboard and I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Gern
I just ordered the Victory for my next project! I am a patient person for the most part and I like the idea of having American Naval and Royal Naval flagships on a display stand.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There's a website devoted to the Heller Victory which gives some fabulous details of building and painting. Here's the link:

1:100th HMS Victory Modellers Forum • Index page

Gern

O

Oscarwray

Well, I have the port side lower cannons all tied into place and got started on the starboard today. Have to go slow and do 1 or 2 cannons an hour to let the glue dry or I end up ripping off the ones I just laid down. Took the time today to run up to Houston (about 2 hours from my house) to visit a nice hobby shop I found via the google machine. Great little place called G and G, if you are ever in the area. I needed some paints that my local, faily terrible hobby surplus store never has in stock. They had some Humbrol tins and I picked up a few to try. I am sold on em! Can't wait to get my airbrush and compressor next month so I can get going on some models I have stock piled. Here are the pics of the cannons all tied down. Should be working on getting the upper deck painted and in place over the next few days.

View attachment 31371View attachment 31372

View attachment 36421

View attachment 36422

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

O

Oscarwray

O

Oscarwray

Dusting this model off and getting back to work on her. Has been a hectic year moving and starting a new job. Pics of progress to come soon!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice to see you back Oscar looking forward to the rest of this build and hope your happy in the new home and job

S

Saturn5tony

Wow another one I missed because I came in late to this thread, amazing build of the Constitution! I have had one in my cellar for about 40 years and just started as a boy, but now looking to finish it. Hope to see you back to finish it!