1st edition Star Trek TOS / Star Wars - To build or not to build...

H

HornofTexas

Just curios as to what people think on the idea of building original 1st editions of Star Trek/Star Wars models. I am planning on building these four Star Trek

View attachment 58128

and these two Star Wars

View attachment 58129

They are complete. I plan on using the original lights that come with the Enterprise and Klingon (Alien) Battlecruiser. As for the Bridge, I will be adding fiber optics and a real video screen that will play all episodes of TOS.

The X-Wing will have fiber optics. R2D2 will have a moving head using a micro processor, fiber optics, and sound.

So, weigh in and let me know your thoughts.

AK

View attachment 60009

View attachment 60010

Start Trek Originals.jpg

Star Wars Originals.jpg

W

Waffen Bucks

Holy Moly...some awesome kits right there!!!! As a SW nut i'd go with the X wing and R2, as i have both these kits too (although the Enterprise Bridge with screen sounds top notch).

Reading what you have said i would love to see how you go about making R2's head move etc. I have an Imperial Shuttle and a Slave 1 that i would love to place illuminations in but not too sure how to go about it. I've bought a few bits from Maplins (battery holders, a few LED's etc) but it's getting past my fear of destroying the model that is stopping me.

But whichever you choose...i will follow your builds, just to inspire me to add lights etc

H

HornofTexas

Hey Waffen. I will be using the Dragon AVR

View attachment 58130

to program the micro porcessor and have a micro servo that will turn the head. The circuit board I am using is only 2" long so I will be able to put 3 chips on it without a problem. The battery case is for 2 AAA batteries so there will be room for that as well inside the main body of R2D2. This project probably wont get started until this summer. I need to practice programming the servo before I begin.

View attachment 60011

DragonAVR.jpg

M

m1ks

I think kits should be built, it's what they're designed for.

Some people like to buy and hoard them unbuilt and often sealed, I don't see the point, I remember a friend's dad a few years ago bought a really nice new-ish car, after a couple of months I noticed an older runabout there, I asked, had he got rid of the other? No, he's put it in the garage and bought this older one to keep the miles down on the nicer newer one and use it less!

I don't see the point, it's a car, meant to be driven

C

Cooperman69

Where did you find the Star Wars kits from mate?

I remember them when they where first released and if I remember right there was also the Tie fighter and C3PO.

H

HornofTexas

I purchased them on eBay. You have to be carefull and patient when buying old models there. Some people price them way to high. I purchases the X-Wing for $20 using Buy It Now. Some people had it listed for as high as $100. It took me 3 weeks to find it at that great price. I also only purchase from people who accept returns. The reason for this is to give me time to authenticate it is a real 1st edition. In the case of the Star Wars models you will know it is first edition if on one of the big pieces you see imprinted on the inside 20th Century Fox. By the time Empire Strikes Back came out all merchandise was imprinted with LucasFilms. This works for the box as well.

I have C3P0 (Return of the Jedi edition), Darth Vader (Star Wars Anniversary edition), and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (Original Edition) but did not take pics of them.

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the info.

Would love to see some pics of the other models if you get a chance to post them.

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
Thanks for the info.Would love to see some pics of the other models if you get a chance to post them.
Same here! Love the artwork on the older boxes, rather than just a photo of a CG image.