41(F) Squadron in 1/48 - Hawker Tempest MkV

S

snapper41

Hi all;

Another one off the production line in my 41(F) Sqn in 1/48 quest! This is the Eduard Tempest V; the fuselage is too short by about 5mm, which is quite a bit in 1/48, so I replaced it with the Alley Cat resin replacement tail section. It's a leap of faith to sever most of the rear fuselage, but with careful measuring and filling and sanding, it does work! This was the Profipack kit, with resin cockpit and PE included - not bad on the whole.

41(F) operated Spitifres throughout WW2, but their treasured MkXIVs were summarily replaced (much to the pilots' anger - I've read the Sqn operational record book!) by the Tempest V in September 1945 whilst based in Germany as part of 2 TAF. However, the Tempest only lasted on the Sqn until April 1946 when it was replaced by the Spit Mk21. 41(F)'s Tempests came from 486 Sqn RNZAF when it disbanded to let the Kiwis return home. This machine, SN136, was credited with at least 2 kills whilst serving with 486, as SA-V.

View attachment 85350

View attachment 85351

View attachment 85352

View attachment 85353

tempest1.jpg

tempest2.jpg

tempest3.jpg

tempest4.jpg

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice model. The Tempest always looked very 'purposeful'. I've never built one, it, will have to go on the list.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another quality build Andy.

I've got the PCM 1/32 Tempest in the stash, as Colins says it's a very purposeful looking machine, much like the Typhoon.

Can I ask Andy, Are you building the 41 sqn series to any particular order or just what model takes your fancy? There's no issue with this I'm just curious:smiling3:

Cheers

Paul

L

Laurie

That is a superb build Andy.

It justs looks authentic. Great stuff and something to emulate.

Laurie

A

Armorbuilder65

Great Build:smiling3: I've always prefered the shape of the tail on the Tempest over the Typhoon.

Robert

S

snapper41

Paul - I'm just building whatever takes my fancy. I'm now down to the ones I've been avoiding for one reason or another - mainly rigging!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely rendition of the Tempest Andy, and another beautiful addition to your 41 family.

Tempest SN136 scored three known confirmed kills with 486 Squadron, plus one half share of a Ju352, and one probable.

21 April 1945: FW190D-9 North East of Wismar, FGOFF Ralph Evans

28 April 1945: 1/2 share Ju352 West of Plon, PLTOFF O.D. Eagleson

29 April 1945: FW190, Lauenburg, FGOFF Ralph Evans

29 April 1945: Bf109, South of Bergodorf, FGOFF Ralph Evans (officially listed as a probable)

1 May 1945: Bf109, Lubeck area, SQNLDR Warren Schrader

S

snapper41

Thanks for the info Joe; always good to know the background.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build Andy, real like it,well done :rolleyes:

First Name
Dave
Another great build Andy.Ive had this kit plus the resin tail correction sat in my stash for a few years now.Will be pleased if it turns out half as good as yours.

C

Caledonia

A beautiful build and paint job again Andy, always thought the Tempest looked a gutsy aircraft that could take a lot of punishment. Great work. Cheers Derek