A 1/35 European Cobbled Street.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been quietly working on a base for my Tiger 1., and I enjoy making cobbled streets.
However, every time I used to stand and stare at the pattern, my eyes would go all over the place trying to figure out the various designs. Luckily, when me and the present Mrs. Ron were in Holland and Belgium late last year, we visited the delightful Bruges, where we came across a street with the cobbled pattern highlighted in lighter, almost white cobbles - not painted.....Bingo, a photo obtained!

Here is my interpretation of the pattern. Done on a piece of polystyrene, and painted with 'poundshop' acrylics. It still needs a dusting to bring out the gaps, and mucking up, but what do you think so far, folks?

Paratrooper shown for scale purposes....

P1190199.JPG

P1190201.JPG

All comments and suggestions well received - unless it's likely to hurt me carrying them out!

Ron

J

Jens Andrée

Looking mighty fine if you ask me!
I thought for quite a while that the top photo was the photo you took in Bruges and not your reinterpretation so there's proof it's more than plausible ;)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Damn impressive work!!:thumb2:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, that's looking top notch Ron. The cobble effect is realistic to my eyes.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your most encouraging posts gents.

It's still in it's raw state, but judging by your comments, at least the scale and general look of the thing passes muster.

Thanks again for your input.

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great to me,Ron very well done,
and the cobbles look about half a foot,and that to me would be in scale,nice work,:hugging-face:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ron
The overall effect works really well, the colouring is good as well so they will make an excellent backdrop. Only thing for me is that the cobbles themselves appear square in the pictures I’ve looked at, but these are round?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ron...better than my pea cobble stones. I may suspect the same as Tim on the shape of the cobble stones in that pattern but I wasn't there.:smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tim and Richard.
The images of 'cobbles' you have probably been looking at elsewhere are not cobbles, but sets.
Cobbles or cobble stones are naturally round, different sizes and are usually laid in a random form. Whereas sets are quarried and shaped on site, usually square. Sets on roads and streets are usually laid to some sort of design.

Anyway, round, square, landing craft shaped my main aim was to have a crack at the pattern........

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You’re probably right Ron, and you’ve certainly cracked the pattern!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see Ron the description of cobbles being round, and sets square or oblong. Monica's sizing about right , though they do vary from country to country. Bricks, mmm. even more confusing !

John.

S

Stevekir

spanner: the black circles defining each cobble - am I right in thinking you made them (a huge number) by dipping the end of a drinking straw or similar in black paint and using it as a stamp?