First Name
Bob
Have fun putting the GAU-8 together, it's a fiddly little sod. :smiling3:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for looking in guys.
Bob still working up to that. "Stiffen up the sinews, summon up the blood"........ and all that.

Most of the wheelie bits are done, just have to connect up the brake lines.

Undercarriage.jpg

Also I have blocked up all her holes, if I may put it like that , ready for primer and painting.

Masked 1.jpg

Masked 2.jpg

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John...the moment of truth will be unfolded whether any more filler and sanding is needed once the primer goes on...good luck...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Definitely getting there. In my very limited experience of wingy things canopies are definitely created to drive you mad. They scratch easily, don't fit and masking them is a nightmare. Lion taming or bomb disposal both seem easier options!
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well It looks as if you have mastered it, nice job on that under carriage.:thumb2:
John.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks gents I appreciate your optimisim.
Now we paint. Good grief... two problems that I had not foreseen. Firstly its a three colour camo job, and secondly it goes on the bottom as well as the top. Double jeopardy.

I started by freehanding the camoshapes using flat black in the air brush.

Paint 1.jpg

I thought this might help and provide a little preshading as well. It helped a bit but the preshading idea went out the window pretty fast as the paint covered it up.

Paint 2.jpg

Little did I know this was the easy bit. Next came the dreaded blutac worms to provide masking. Since there are three colours this process had to be repeated. Much verbal abuse ensued until something vaguely ressembling what I was going for emerged.

Paint 3.jpg

Not completely rubbish but not what I was hoping for. Touchup will be the order of the day and then guess what....? I get to do it all again on the even more complicated bottom. Oh much joy.

I am trusting to the weathering to save the day.

John

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice work John, I’d not realised quite how big the kit was!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Warthog is one of my faves & one of the few wingy things I've attempted (failed to finish-donated to a friend). Your effort seems very well along. Some excellent details and I'm certain your finishes will do them justice. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It looks great from here John but we are our own worst critics. A wonderful subject to build and I am sure the look will turn out the way you want it too by the end. Terrific work

First Name
Wouter
oh my, Mr. Ballard is going wingy now :O What a great subject to choose mate! That cockpit looks very nice and tidy and great start on the paintwork I must say. Love the camo so far!

Cheers

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Paint work is looking good John, the masking is never easy but looks like you nailed it

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
She is looking good John - the blutac worms method works great. One suggestion for that type of camo that I find works a treat is the 'Panzer Putty' type of product, also known as Clever Putty. it has no tac at all and is reusable.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, the lizard scheme looks good and definitely looks great from here too. Blu-Tac or Silly Putty gives the best Sharp Soft edge and working from the smallest coverage to the largest is one way to go.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
gentlemen you are all most gracious. This is turning into a much longer build than I am used to. I hope my stamina persists to see it finished.

This is an old kit and therefore it has raised rather than scribed, panel lines. This meant that the clean panels that Richard and Barry always produce on their models are not really possible. With this in mind I decided to go for the dirty well campaigned look. So after a coat of Future varnish I went ahead with a dirty oil wash made up of a mix of van Dyke Brown and Ultramarine blue. I'm not sure that it has completely worked but I don't hate it. See what you think.

First wash.jpg

I have also learned that airplane have gazillions of decals. I guess that will be the next step. Oh I did manage to assemble to PE gun which is now installed.

John

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking paint job and weathering John.:thumb2:
Love the undercarriage work too, are the brake lines your own work or PE?

Good luck with the stencils, I mostly start with the bigger ones first and the smaller later as when applying the bigger ones can shift the smaller ones.:rolling:
Also helps to work one part to the next, like underside first then topside and so on.HTH