A-6E Intruder

0ne48thtel

I started this Revell A-6E at the start of the year and it has been sat on the shelf waiting to be finished. I am going to mount it on a board when finished as it is a tail sitter. This is due to the numpty building it forgetting to weight the nose (I did have the stuff ready to one side).

The build up to now has not been without issues but nothing that couldn't be sorted with a bit of filler or pva. The wing roots and intake joins were the worst. A piece of the belly also needed attention again fit issues. The cockpit is not the kit one and again there was the usual issue with the fit of the thing. this did not become appparent until it was all stuck in place and I tried to fit the front cockpit glass. The instrument panel shroud sits a bit high and makes it difficult to put the glass in place. (And yes I did dry fit it all but I guess something moved).

View attachment 70893

View attachment 70894

View attachment 70895

View attachment 70896

View attachment 70897

View attachment 70898

View attachment 70899

024.JPG

025.JPG

028.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

0ne48thtel

Thanks Joe it is a Revell kit but the 1/48 kit. I knew I was going to be in for a bit of work with it as I had read of poeple having to remove the IFRP to get the front of the glass to sit properly. All I did was got the scalpel blade and took a couple of nicks out of the bottom of it seems to have worked.

If that had failed I think I would have had to cut down in to the instrument panel shroud and being as it's hard resin that wasn't a job I relished.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One of my fave planes. Nice work Terry, looks a tricky so and so and have heard that the Revell 1/48 is a tad disappointing in regards fitting. Think you have mastered it very well and I like this mate.

Si:smiling3:

0ne48thtel

\ said:
One of my fave planes. Nice work Terry, looks a tricky so and so and have heard that the Revell 1/48 is a tad disappointing in regards fitting. Think you have mastered it very well and I like this mate.Si:smiling3:
You could say that Si there has been a few testing times with this build but these problems are there for us to over come.

0ne48thtel

Belly and wing tanks now in place with one still drying hence the bottle of paint holding it in place. I now only have a couple of bits to add then a few touch up bits and this build will be finished. I have just noticed the fins on the wing tanks are not as they should be.

View attachment 71185

View attachment 71186

002.JPG

003.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Terry. Yes, I think the tank fins should be horizontal.

0ne48thtel

Joe the slot they go in is for a vertical position in a downward configuration one on each tank. Mine seem to have got a mind of there own and gone of on an angle when I thought they were straight :confused:.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You are quite right Terry, I just had a look and there is one vertical downward fin on each tank. I didn't notice the angle they had settled into on your one.

0ne48thtel

I like the picture joe and it has given me an idea for resolving the tail sit problem that I hadn't even thought of.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A random photo I assure you, glad you got an idea from it though :smiling3:

0ne48thtel

quite fitting all the same with another of the types sitting behind it that I have recently finished. I do believe it is an A-7!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Certainly looks like an A-7. Bit of a diorama in the making perhaps?

0ne48thtel

Not this time around I have other projects I want to do. Maybe it could be one for the future but I would have to seriously look at the space available. Doing solely 1/48 scale eats it up pretty quick

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You've done a great job on her , it's always a pain when the canopy doesn't fit properly but you recovered well and I love the cockpit

Well done

First Name
Dave
Looking really good Terry.This is an aircraft Ive never built.I really should make one some day