A Bulge

T

tecdes

View attachment 51693

Got a bulge in this piece.

This about 35mm across. An engine cowl form A Tamiya (tut) Swordfish 1/48.

It is OK on the bottom but then bulges out to the top. Little worse than the photo indicates.

Any ideas for getting it straight. Probably not to noticeable as it occurs near the bottom but it is very annoying.

Laurie

View attachment 54274

BULGE.jpg

C

CDW

id be tempted to cut a "V" slit out of it and glue it back to shape Laurie.

maybe using some hot water to assist in shaping it

First Name
Adrian
Have you tried leaving it in a dish of piping hot water and then after a few mins trying to mold it back into shape?

T

treyzx10r

Maybe you could precurve some sheet styrene to the correct shape,then cut the bulge out and splice in the replacement section?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For the price they cost I would of thought a photo call to mr. Tamiya UK was in order.

I would of suggested the hot water bit as well.

Ian M

T

tecdes

\ said:
For the price they cost I would of thought a photo call to mr. Tamiya UK was in order.I would of suggested the hot water bit as well.

Ian M
Read somewhere Ian on this forum that it was not easy to get in touch with Tamiya & difficult to get spare parts.

Thanks all for your advice now to have a go. Snap no it will not will it !!!

Laurie

T

tecdes

\ said:
That's a bit disappointing from Tamiya.
\ said:
That's a bit disappointing from Tamiya.
Going to have a go at getting a replacement piece Joe. Will let you know progress or not.

Meanwhile I am going to test my skills, or not, in duping this piece into some order.

Thanks to all for all the info & advice. All at high speed.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Well that is a turn up for the books

Spoke to the people who sold the Tamiya Swordfish to me on the telephone. They took the part number told me to hang on (expected problems). The assistant returned told me it was in stock in the UK & they would have it in 48 hours to be sent to me. Even knew the shape of the part. So thumbs up to Tamiya UK.

Beat that.

Laurie

Explanation. Would be unfair to John in the Shop to tell the name of the company I used to purchase the model from.

I bought from this company as they can remove VAT. £10 in this case. We have to pay our own GST (VAT) in Jersey not being part of the UK.

I buy all my bits & pieces from the John's shop. Being a pensioner I have to watch the pounds.

chameleon 2009

Mike Tipping Models
SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Laurie

you need the bulge, it should be at the bottom of the aircraft, and allows for part of the engine to slot in

Mike

T

tecdes

\ said:
Laurieyou need the bulge, it should be at the bottom of the aircraft, and allows for part of the engine to slot in

Mike
O Yucks what a sucker I am. I am nearly embarrassed !

Thanks Mike for spotting that.

Any body need a Swordfish Cowling ?

I actually assembled dry the whole thing except the most rear part where the "bulge" goes. What if I had spent hours "rectifying" that piece. Got to say that looking at it it really is a fine piece of detailing by Tamiya nearly undone by an ----

Thanks Mike now to phoning & telling the supplier. Few choice words there I would imagine.

Laurie