A cautionary tale

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Just something which may affect others and fore warned is fore armed. I have a spray booth which has an extractor hose connected to it. It sits on my bench and the hose lays on the window sill. When I use the booth I open the window and stick out the end of the hose. I use lacquer thinners quite a lot and so this set up coupled with a mask keeps me safe. Today I felt that there were more fumes in the room than usual. I changed the filter which was a bit dirty but not excessively so and sprayed some more. Still had fumes :confused:
To cut a long story short further investigation showed that the expanding, concertina type extraction hose had perished and had splits in it. May be old age - it's about 7years old - but more likely I feel it had been affected by the sunlight through the window. The splits were on the window side so normally out of sight.
Just cost me almost £20 for a replacement!!!
So check your hoses folks - don't want suffering 'cause of a perished hose.
Jim

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi all
Just something which may affect others and fore warned is fore armed. I have a spray booth which has an extractor hose connected to it. It sits on my bench and the hose lays on the window sill. When I use the booth I open the window and stick out the end of the hose. I use lacquer thinners quite a lot and so this set up coupled with a mask keeps me safe. Today I felt that there were more fumes in the room than usual. I changed the filter which was a bit dirty but not excessively so and sprayed some more. Still had fumes :confused:
To cut a long story short further investigation showed that the expanding, concertina type extraction hose had perished and had splits in it. May be old age - it's about 7years old - but more likely I feel it had been affected by the sunlight through the window. The splits were on the window side so normally out of sight.
Just cost me almost £20 for a replacement!!!
So check your hoses folks - don't want suffering 'cause of a perished hose.
Jim

I have used this stuff in the past and as an extension to the semi-rigid hose for the extractor - https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-pvc-flexible-ducting-hose-white-3m-x-100mm/18232