A few questions about paints

C

cristian-m

Hey guys, I am looking to build my first model and I have a few questions about painting it, which is the part I find most difficult. Would you help shed some light on the topic?
What I need help with is:

- Does using a primer help preserve details?
- What exactly happens if you use generic spray paints on plastic? I read you are not supposed to use real car paint on car models because they are far more aggressive, but nothing about generic sprays.
- Are there any model stores in London where I could see what the colour looks like in real life?

Lastly, I am looking to build the model attached and get the colour scheme from the images below (minus the weathering). I’m having difficulty finding the correct spray paints though, since they are not the ones in the manual. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could use for the bottom part of the body (the dark grey) and the top part (super light grey)?

The model is this: https://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/ships/submarines/id/05133.html

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 19.05.27.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 19.05.27.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 19.08.26.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 19.08.26.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 19.08.36.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 19.08.36.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome to the forum. Might be best if some of our ship builders help you with this one. I build aircraft. That looks a bit of a challenging build for a first kit, lots of p.e. I should think. My only advice would be to practise with a cheap simple kit first.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

If used excessively, primer can clog detail. However, it helps paint adhesion massively and I always use it when spraying metalizer paints, as they tend to rub off (in my experience) without primer. In your case, get some primer, maybe some Mr Hobby surfacer 1000, thin it down and spray evenly prior to painting
Cheers, John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Btw, it would help if you stated what you are building

C

cristian-m

If used excessively, primer can clog detail. However, it helps paint adhesion massively and I always use it when spraying metalizer paints, as they tend to rub off (in my experience) without primer. In your case, get some primer, maybe some Mr Hobby surfacer 1000, thin it down and spray evenly prior to painting
Cheers, John
Good to know, thanks for the suggestion.
When you say 'metalizer paints', do you have any in mind? Any I could use for the fin?

C

cristian-m

Welcome to the forum. Might be best if some of our ship builders help you with this one. I build aircraft. That looks a bit of a challenging build for a first kit, lots of p.e. I should think. My only advice would be to practise with a cheap simple kit first.

Thanks Barry, I understand it's a difficult model and I intend to take my time with it and practice everything first. I am not worried about building it however, it is quite large, with large parts, so patience and practice should do it. What do you mean by p.e.? What are the top challenges you see with more difficult models like this one? I attached the link to it in the description.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Good to know, thanks for the suggestion.
When you say 'metalizer paints', do you have any in mind? Any I could use for the fin?
Search up Alclad II and/or Mr Hobby super Metallic and/or Mr Hobby Buffable.
Those are the main three that are known to produce superb effects. The buffable is more of a weathering product that can produce stunning effects if used well
Cheers

C

cristian-m

Search up Alclad II and/or Mr Hobby super Metallic and/or Mr Hobby Buffable.
Those are the main three that are known to produce superb effects. The buffable is more of a weathering product that can produce stunning effects if used well
Cheers
These all require an airbrush right? Are there any spray can solutions?

J

John Rixon

I agree with Bary, it looks a pretty full-on build for a beginner, possibly much better to start on something managable, and that doesn't really matter if it goes wrong!

C

cristian-m

I agree with Bary, it looks a pretty full-on build for a beginner, possibly much better to start on something managable, and that doesn't really matter if it goes wrong!

Thanks, I'll think about getting an easy model to practice on first.
What challenges do you see with this harder one?

J

John Rixon

Is this literally your first model? If so, too many to list! Firstly, its huge - just over a metre long. But most of all, if you've never built a kit before, you'll want to get to know the basics, the essential tools and adhesives, and how they work. Also, being Revell, it may have some manufacturing issue(!) - I know some of their kits are absolutely great, but similarly, some are really challengeing, and not for the right reasons!!

C

cristian-m

Is this literally your first model? If so, too many to list! Firstly, its huge - just over a metre long. But most of all, if you've never built a kit before, you'll want to get to know the basics, the essential tools and adhesives, and how they work. Also, being Revell, it may have some manufacturing issue(!) - I know some of their kits are absolutely great, but similarly, some are really challengeing, and not for the right reasons!!

Why do you say the size is a disadvantage? I played around with the parts and it seems easier to work with such large parts as compared to the tiny ones on a smaller model.
Yes, this is indeed my first model and I intended to practice using the tools and glues first then start on it. I do have crafts experience though, I built a guitar from scratch once.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me some of the challenges you foresee so I know what to look out for / do some more research into.
I did notice some parts are not a perfect fit but I'm sure with patience and care I can modify fix them.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Why do you say the size is a disadvantage? I played around with the parts and it seems easier to work with such large parts as compared to the tiny ones on a smaller model.
Yes, this is indeed my first model and I intended to practice using the tools and glues first then start on it. I do have crafts experience though, I built a guitar from scratch once.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me some of the challenges you foresee so I know what to look out for / do some more research into.
I did notice some parts are not a perfect fit but I'm sure with patience and care I can modify fix them.
I would say size is a disadvantage as well, as th parts count is higher, and there is more room for error. In a smaller kit, fit is tighter, with less flex all round. Bigger kits tend to have greater gaps and greater room for error if you get what I mean.

C

cristian-m

I would say size is a disadvantage as well, as th parts count is higher, and there is more room for error. In a smaller kit, fit is tighter, with less flex all round. Bigger kits tend to have greater gaps and greater room for error if you get what I mean.

Good point, I'll try to be careful with that.

J

John Rixon

Well, for a start, running a glue line along a 1/48th aircraft fuselage is one thing, but the long lines of glueing that will be required for this kit are a different issue, as is making sure that all your clean up points of where it was attached to the sprue, are perfect - this means cleaning them up from both directions, to avoid your blade ploughing in too deep. Do you have a really sharp modelling knife and plenty of fresh blades, a sprue cutter, various sanding sticks and sheets, filler, various types of adhesive etc? If so, then go ahead and give it a go. I'm not trying to scare you off it, just preparing you for a steep learning curve! There are a few YouTube build videos of this model, I'd strongly advise you watch them all! Good luck!:smiling:

C

cristian-m

Well, for a start, running a glue line along a 1/48th aircraft fuselage is one thing, but the long lines of glueing that will be required for this kit are a different issue, as is making sure that all your clean up points of where it was attached to the sprue, are perfect - this means cleaning them up from both directions, to avoid your blade ploughing in too deep. Do you have a really sharp modelling knife and plenty of fresh blades, a sprue cutter, various sanding sticks and sheets, filler, various types of adhesive etc? If so, then go ahead and give it a go. I'm not trying to scare you off it, just preparing you for a steep learning curve! There are a few YouTube build videos of this model, I'd strongly advise you watch them all! Good luck!:smiling:

I do have all the tools and I understand it will be difficult. I appreciate the heads up and pointers.
In terms of glues, I only got the contacta professional because I understand it will give me a solid stick by melting the plastic together and I can apply it precisely.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Christian. Photo-Engraved metal is pe. That model looks like it may have some and I know that it is common to have in ship models as items such as railings and ladders are easier to depict in scale. Working with these metal pieces is not as straight forward as working in plastic. You really need to familiarise yourself with this and practise before using kit parts. It is easy for small parts to ping off never to be seen for one thing. Getting them stick down on plastic is not always as easy as it should be and often they need folding and bending into shapes which again can be a challenge.

J

John Rixon

I do have all the tools and I understand it will be difficult. I appreciate the heads up and pointers.
In terms of glues, I only got the contacta professional because I understand it will give me a solid stick by melting the plastic together and I can apply it precisely.
Well there you go, I wouldn't use Contacta for a build like this!