A homebrew 4x5 view camera

J

johnpipe108

I recently started a view camera project, to go with a very old set of tripod legs I had acquired decades ago and recently made a tripod head to go with it. Having an old-fashioned tripod and no camera to go with it just did not seem right, so I made one! Here it is:

And a view of the back, showing the ground glass focusing screen with a $2.99 USD Fresnel lens, marketed through stationers and craft shops as FlexiThin medium size magnifier (I checked on the MightyBright website, and they have 3 others, a bookmark, a credit-card wallet size, and a full page size almost 8 " x 10").

Tripod head in action:

I'm starting out with paper negatives (Ilford MGIV RC Deluxe VC enlarging paper) to save on cost and complexity; strictly black & white photography, the old way. Haven't had a chance take many pix yet; will have to try some model shots at some point.

I have this entered in the Sonoma County Fair woodworking competition, so it will be tied up for a couple weeks, then I get it back and can make some effort to take a few photos with it.

Hope you like it!

Regards, John

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Like all your builds John, you never fail to amaze with your woodworking skills. A beautiful build and look forward to seeing the pictures.

How are you doing with the sword practising, hope you haven't lopped fingers, ears...your beard off yet!

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

That's amazing John! Wait till Ron sees it - he'll think it's state of the art! ;)

J

johnpipe108

\ said:
Like all your builds John, you never fail to amaze with your woodworking skills. A beautiful build and look forward to seeing the pictures.How are you doing with the sword practising, hope you haven't lopped fingers, ears...your beard off yet!

Si:smiling3:
Thanks for the inquiry; unfortunately, my physical health is deteriorating, and I'm not really able to do the sword practice now. My left leg is badly swollen with edema, not much likelihood that it will get better, and I'm wearing compression stockings to deal with it. I'm trying to keep active in whatever way I can, as the odds are I may be bedridden before year's end.

Thanks again, John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what a great old camera that it, bet it takes a better pic than my silly phone one, ;)

so sorry to hear that John, I have DVT, in my left leg for the last 3 or 4 yrs has never been the same since i got it .take up to 15 ml of coumadin each day with it,

cannot travel , so it dose slow down your life,

I think your doing the right thing, but doing as much as you can and maybe that will help and keep that for happening of for a bit longer ,just dont give in to it,do your best :D

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
I recently started a view camera project, to go with a very old set of tripod legs I had acquired decades ago and recently made a tripod head to go with it. Having an old-fashioned tripod and no camera to go with it just did not seem right, so I made one! Here it is:
And a view of the back, showing the ground glass focusing screen with a $2.99 USD Fresnel lens, marketed through stationers and craft shops as FlexiThin medium size magnifier (I checked on the MightyBright website, and they have 3 others, a bookmark, a credit-card wallet size, and a full page size almost 8 " x 10").

Tripod head in action:

I'm starting out with paper negatives (Ilford MGIV RC Deluxe VC enlarging paper) to save on cost and complexity; strictly black & white photography, the old way. Haven't had a chance take many pix yet; will have to try some model shots at some point.

I have this entered in the Sonoma County Fair woodworking competition, so it will be tied up for a couple weeks, then I get it back and can make some effort to take a few photos with it.

Hope you like it!

Regards, John
Absolutely amazing woodworking skills.

I own a 1897 Thornton Pickard bellows plate camera, your production is in the same class as this piece of history.

I have nothing but admiration for someone who can take a piece of wood, and administer their craft, to produce an amazing result as this.

I recently lost my best mate to the big C, he was a carpenter, and I was always in awe of his carpentry skills.

However we know his memory carries on in all the things he produced in his lifetime.

You keep your chin up John, you are an amazing person to carry on, when obviously suffering from what is a very painful illness.

Gregg

J

johnpipe108

Here is a self-portrait taken with the view camera, on the patio behind the community building:

I will "Press on regardless .." as long as I am able to!

Thanks, John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome work John. Love that photo of you.