AAArgh

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I thought I was on the home straight with this Eduard Lavchkin La-7 that I had from Rob (Munchkin), but I was clearcoating after the decals, in a freezing cold garage, and gave it a gentle waft of warm air from a fan heater. I didn't think it was very warm, but it's distorted both u/c legs as well as the tail wheel, aerial and pitot tube.P1130957.JPGP1130958.JPG
I'm thinking I need to leave it a while for the Pledge to fully cure, then have at it with a hairdryer? Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
DOH! I did a very similar thing with my group build eduard mig 21 pete! Holding it if front of the halogen heater to dry the paint (impatience ) I melted the top of the nose and the nose ring ,and had to effect a last minute repair. If I were you I would scratchbuild the aerial and pitot , that should be easy enough , and remove and try and straighten the undercarriage legs and tailwheel ,maybe try the hairdryer on its hottest setting (watch your fingers though!)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Tony. TBH I hadn't thought of removing the legs. I was amazed at how easily they bent, so hopefully they'll bend back just as easily (is that a pig flying past my window?).
I can comfortably hold my hand in front of that fan heater, it seems cooler than the wife's hair dryer. Does Pledge somehow lower the softening point of plastic?

Pete